Most people think almonds are nuts, but they are actually the seeds of the almond tree fruit. Almonds are brownish on the outside and off-white on the inside. Sweet almonds are the almondss that are eaten, while bitter almonds are the almonds that are used to make almond oil. You can use almonds in breads, cakes, salads, and in cookies.
- Reduces Risk of Heart Disease - When you eat almonds you reduce your risk of heart disease and this is because almonds lower your levels of low-density lipoprotein, also known as 'bad' cholesterol. If you want to get more benefits, you should eat unsalted almonds since these have less sodium. Another idea is to eat an almond and fruit salad instead of processed baked goods for dessert.
- Almonds Work Like a Multivitamin Supplement - For those who do not like to take multivitamin supplements, you can eat almonds because these have vitamins and minerals such as magnesium, fiber, potassium, protein, as well as antioxidants such as vitamin E. This is great for building your immune system, retaining your memory as you get older and having energy for the day.
- Appetite Control - Studies have also shown that those who snack on almonds throughout the day are not as hungry during dinnertime because the almonds fill you up to the point where you are at least halfway full. If you drink water while eating the almonds, you reduce your desire for additional portions of food.
- Brain Food - According to recent medical studies, almonds have the ability to improve your brain's functioning and memory. If you are a parent and you want your child to be intellectually astute at a young age, give him almonds throughout the week.
- Great for Skin Care - Almond oil and almond milk have been known to moisturize the skin effectively, hence why many lotions and facial creams contain this ingredient. If you want an almond oil-based skin moisturizer without all the added chemicals, you can make your own. In a small bowl combine a cup of natural yogurt, three teaspoons of almond oil, chopped mint leaves and a little milk. Rub it on your face then rinse off.
- Regulates Blood Pressure - When you eat almonds you regulate your blood pressure because almonds do not have high levels of sodium. This makes almonds a good snack for diabetics or those who battle heart disease.
- Great for Pregnant Women - Almonds have folic acid and for this reason it is good for pregnant women since they need plenty of it in order to have a healthy pregnancy and delivery.
Almonds have so many health benefits that it would not be wise to avoid them as a snack or addition to meals. They have a delicious taste and they are versatile, and you can find them at most supermarkets and natural health stores. When shopping for them, you want to get a high quality brand that is also affordable.