Dansko clogs and some of their other shoes carry the American Podiatric Medical Associations (APMA) Seal of Acceptance. That means that podiatrists or foot doctors have determined that they promote healthy foot function.
Some of the things that make Dansko clogs good for nurses and CNA's are:
- They have a rocking sole that moves the foot forward with each step
- The sole has much better shock absorption capability than most running or tennis shoes.
- Tested slip-proof resistance
- Roomy toe box gives your feet the space to move naturally (and protects your toes from runaway stretcher wheels and wheelchairs)
- Their design is meant to promote good posture while standing and walking
New balance shoes are very popular with CNAs and Nurses for their general 'comfortable-ness' while working and being on their feet for loooooooong periods.
- Some have a ‘rocker’ bottom that propels you forward while walking
- Great shock absorption and arch support
- Generally rated ‘comfortable’
Alegria/ MBT / Skechers Shape Ups / Rocker-type shoes
These types of shoes are grouped together for their one commonality: they all have a rounded, rocking sole.
The stated benefits of rocker-bottomed shoes are
- They activate your stabilizing muscles while walking or standing (increase your muscle tone)
- Rocking sole propels foot forward when walking (notice a trend in all the shoes here?)
What matters most is what’s comfortable for you, and what's good for your feet: usually the same thing. We recommend looking for a shoe with the American Podiatric Medical Associations (APMA) Seal of Acceptance. Then you know the shoe has been tested and meets their criteria and that they will be good for your feet.
After that you need to try on different types and find what works for you. Try going to a specialty shoe shop, especially if you can find a ‘comfort’ shoe store and plan on spending some time there, talk to the workers and try on lots of shoes. See if you can wear the shoes indoors and have a home testing period. We've all bought shoes that feel good for a few minutes but are killing your feet at the end of a shift.
Finding the right shoes might take awhile and good shoes also tend to cost more but they will be so worth it. Your feet, your knees, and your back will all be so much happier, meaning you will be happier too!