Nobody likes getting cold sores - these painful blisters occur on the lips and can cause extreme discomfort, not to mention insecurity and embarrassment. These sores are caused by an infection from the herpes virus, and they can last quite a while if not treated properly, so they should not be taken lightly. They can also lead to more problems and complications, such as pink eye, if you are not careful. This article will give you more of a background on the condition and will offer you some easy and quick ways to get rid of the sores right now.
What is this thing on my lip!
Here are some of the symptoms of this virus, which can happen even before you actually see anything on your lip:
- Pain around your mouth and on your lips.
- Sore throat.
- Swollen glands in your neck.
- Itching or burning sensation.
So, it's now appeared on your lip. Bummer! To get rid of them and prevent scabbing, here are some tips:
1. Firstly, DON'T PICK IT! And don't try to peel it off. This will cause scarring and will delay the healing process. A scab means that the sore is healing, so it's best to just wait it out. What you need to do is make sure that it heals as fast as possible.
2. Keep the area clean. Wash your face regularly, but be careful that you don't hit the effected area too hard as this can cause pain and irritation. Make sure your hands are always clean as well.
3. Use petroleum jelly to keep it moisturized or an over-the-counter ointment.
What is the best way to treat a cold sore? In my opinion, Abreva has the best product out there. It shortens the healing time and should lessen itchiness and other symptoms.
It contains 10 percent Docosanol, which should help protect healthy cells from the cold sore virus, preventing spreading and quickening the healing process.
Amazon Price: $22.54 $8.99 Buy Now
(price as of Sep 29, 2013)
Another great product to consider is Compeed Cold Sore Patches. It is an invisible patch that uses an ingredient called ultra thin hydrocolloid-075. This is especially useful in the early stages. If you catch the sore early, you should apply this patch immediately to your lip. Many reviewers on Amazon are very impressed with the effectiveness of this product.
Amazon Price: $16.13 $9.30 Buy Now
(price as of Sep 29, 2013)
Possible Home Remedies
-Try using petroleum jelly to moisturize.
- Sunscreen might also be useful.
- Put icepack on the area, but only during the early stages. And be gentle.
- If you are feeling pain, consider taking aspirin or ibuprofen.
- Eat licorice. I have heard that this candy contains an ingredient that stops the virus cells from speading.
Also remember to switch your toothbrush and avoid sharing anything like drinks or food with other people.
What if I Already Have Scarring?
I would recommend you check out a product like Mederma or Kelo-Cote scar gel. This will also help get rid of acne scars if you have them.
I wish you the best of luck in getting rid of your cold sore as fast as possible, without any scarring at all!