When looking for good self defence classes one wants to be sure to find a program that he or she is comfortable with, that will allow one to escape a sticky situation without harm and that will also be great exercise as well. One also wants to be assured that he or she is getting good value for his money. A great way to try kickboxing classes, jiu jitsu gi classes, or karate classes is to ask for a free trial class or to seek out gyms that offer a one or two week free pass so that prospective member can try out a variety of classes to see which self defence techniques he or she is most comfortable with using. For example some of the 10 best self defence classes may require one to learn self-defense techniques that involve disabling an attacker, while others might be more concerned with escape from a situation. One will never be able to distinguish which class is best unless he or she tries them out to see what best suits his or her physical ability and thoughts on the topic. The 10 best self defence classes would include those based in each of the following disciplines:Credit: http://fightmash.com/?tag=judo
1. Judo is a self-defense technique that focuses on immobilizing, throwing or subduing an opponent either through grappling or the use of chokes or holds on joints. Hands or feet are used as well as weapons in order to defend oneself.Credit: http://tomschreck.wordpress.com/tag/karate/
2. Karate is a Japanese martial art. In karate classes one will learn to use punching, kicking, knee, elbow strikes and open-handed techniques such as knife-hands. However, grappling, locks, restraints, throws and vital point striking are also taught in some styles.Credit: http://www.dicts.info/picture-dictionary.php?w=box
3. Boxing or pugilism is a combat sport that generally has two participants. It takes a long time to learn just to throw a proper boxing punch. Boxing does not only teach one to punch, but also to do footwork, meaning one is constantly alert and in motion making it tough for an attacker to really engage a victim who can box. Even though it is not as popular today it is still an effective means of self-defence and is one of the 10 best self defence classes one can take.Credit: http://www.okinawankarateclub.com/gallery/seminars/Kung_Fu_Azzolini_2006/index.htm
4. Kung Fu is one of the oldest martial arts in the world. It teaches patience and is an excellent way to get healthy exercise. One will need to study for ears to become a true kung fu master.Credit: http://www.fitness-made-fun.com/kick-boxing.html
5. Kickboxing classes teach one to use punches, kicks, and elbow and knee strikes, to defend oneself. It also teaches one how to toughen up to be able to take kicks and strikes from an attacker. It is an effective way to stave off an attacker and it is definitely one of the 10 best self defence classes one can take.Credit: http://www.chinawingchun.com/
6. Wing Chung uses both striking and grappling while specializing in close-range combat. The most famous practitioner of this martial art was Bruce Lee who used this technique before he began using his own martial arts style.Credit: http://www.webalice.it/dantefederici/KEYSI.html
7. Keysi is based on street fighting and one’s natural fighting instincts. This system strives to teach the attacker ted to become the attacker. It teaches one to handle multiple assailants and relies on all sorts of blows and, occasionally weapons in order to ward off attackers.Credit: http://fightunion.net/?page_id=67
8. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is a combat sport and a martial art. It is also a wonderful martial art and self –defence system. It teaches that even a smaller weaker person can use good technique and leverage to defeat an assailant. It is often used as a fitness class as well. Jiu Jitsu gi is one of the most effective of the 10 best self-defence classes one can take.Credit: http://www.jkd-la.com/
9. Jeet Kun Do was developed by the late Bruce Lee. It is a technique heavy system that teaches that the best defense is a good offense. Users of this technique rely heavily on the split second decision to stop an attacker as he approaches, before an actual attack can be started.Credit: http://urban-review.com/kick-ass-with-israeli-self-defense-technique-krav-maga/kravmaga/
10. Krav Maga is a hand to hand combat system developed in Israel. It is used by the Israeli Defense Forces. A combination of neutralization of the attacker, aggression, and simultaneous offensive and defensive maneuvers is used to defend oneself. Most experts feel that this is the very best self-defense system in the world and therefore, it is the best of the 10 best self defence classes one can take.
These top 10 self defence classes all offer the ability to help one in case of an attack as well as a great chance to increase one’s level of physical fitness.