Login
Password

Forgot your password?

Black Mold Health Effects Can Be Devastating

This article has been generously donated to InfoBarrel for Charities.
By Edited Nov 13, 2013 0 0

Black mold is sometimes referred to as toxic mold. Regardless of what it is called, the fact is that black mold heath risks are real and can be serious. Some of the black mold health effects include symptoms such as allergy type symptoms. Headaches, sneezing, coughing, runny nose and itching eyes are all common symptoms that could be associated with mold. Every person has a different tolerance level to mold. It is not always how much mold is present that indicates how severe the symptoms are but how sensitive the person is.

Most of the types of health risks from mold are mild but frustrating. The constant headaches, itchy eyes, sneezing and other allergy like symptoms can take a toll on a person when they go on for a while. Some people report chronic fatigue, difficulty concentrating and even memory loss. Most of the time it would take a considerable mold infestation to create these symptoms. The homeowner or those living in the home need to take responsibility for identifying, reporting and correcting mold problems as soon as they are suspected.

Sometimes mold can lead to devastating infections. Aspegillus and Rhizopus are two of the more frequent systemic diseases that can be caused my mold exposure. While most healthy people may experience mild symptoms, they are usually not affected by a systemic disease. However, those who are have a weakened immune system present a high risk. Small children, elderly people, those on steroids and other immunosuppressant drugs and those with disease processes such as pneumonia, liver or kidney disease and lupus are all at elevated risk for opportunistic infections.

Mild health manifestations from exposure to black mold can vary significantly from person to person. People have various sensitivity levels. The same allergy type symptoms that mold can cause can also be the results of numerous other stimuli. The person with the symptoms needs to see a physician to determine what the cause of the symptoms is so that a medical condition caused by other pathologies is not overlooked. It is very important to confirm the presence of mold as soon as possible and have it professionally removed. Treatments of the symptoms are supportive in nature. Anti-histamines can be used for itchy eyes, runny nose and the like. Pain relievers help the headaches and body aches.

The only true treatment is to have the mold eradicated. This requires a professional. There is a lot more to it than just washing away the surface mold. Wood, walls and other structural surfaces must be treated to prevent the mold from coming back. Once the mold is removed, the people should see a rapid resolution of symptoms. Of course, those who have experienced a systemic infection will have to be treated by a physician.


Advertisement

Comments

Add a new comment - No HTML
You must be logged in and verified to post a comment. Please log in or sign up to comment.

Explore InfoBarrel

Auto Business & Money Entertainment Environment Health History Home & Garden InfoBarrel University Lifestyle Sports Technology Travel & Places
© Copyright 2008 - 2016 by Hinzie Media Inc. Terms of Service Privacy Policy XML Sitemap

Follow IB Health