As a mom it's not always easy to find something healthy, nutritious and appetizing that your entire family will enjoy. It's even more difficult when you have picky eaters who believe that vegetables aren't a necessary food group. As my son became a toddler and started having opinions about the food he ate, I had to find creative ways to ensure that he got all the nutrients he needed especially considering that we are vegetarian. So to make certain he ate a balanced diet with enough vegetables, I started incorporating them with the foods I knew he already loved. The idea here was not to hide the vegetables but to present them in a way that would appeal to my son.
I'm sure most moms fight this food battle on a daily basis so I've come up with a quick and easy burrito that I usually make for breakfast but you can enjoy it anytime of the day. These burritos are also great as a finger food for parties. You don't even need tortillas to make this burrito!
You will need:
- Whole grain bread
- A dab of butter
- Some fresh button mushrooms
- Shredded cheese (whichever is your favourite)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Remove ends from bread and flatten with rolling pin (almost to thickness of a tortilla) joining two slices together as you roll it out to create a longer piece.
- Finely chop tomatoes and mushrooms and sauté with a dab of butter. In a separate pan, scramble eggs with cheese adding salt and pepper to taste. Add sautéed vegetables to eggs when almost done.
- Place some of the scrambled egg mixture onto flattened bread and roll to create a burrito.
- In the pan used for sautéing vegetables toast bread lightly for a bit of a crunch.
Of course, you can always change the vegetables to suit your family's taste. One of the best things about this recipes is how versatile it is.
I hope you enjoy this as much as my family does!