Breast Cancer Symptoms
One of the important facts is that very early forms of this devastating disease don’t produce any signs or symptoms. Due to this, women need to do regular examination of the breastsand have annual mammogram breasts x-rays to detect the tumour early.
Later on you may notice a lump or even a lump under the armpit. These lumps are usually not painful and may have ragged edges. Or, you may notice a dimpling or strange puckering of the breast nipple or an inflamed area. There may also be bloody or greenish yellow pus coming from the nipple.
Some of the advanced symptoms may include bone pain, breast pain, ulcers of the skin, arm swelling near the breasts, or unusual loss of weight.
Other factors that may cause a risk of breast cancer
Some of the other important facts of cancer of the breast include:
- Most cancer of the breast are found in women who are older than 50 years old.
- If there is a family history of breast cancer, or a close relative has had it or uterine, colon or ovarian cancer you are at a greater risk of getting breast cancer.
- If you have the breast cancer genes BRCA1 or BRCA2 you may be more likely to develop breast cancer. These genes make it 80 percent more likely a woman will get cancer of the breast.
- Women whose periods started before they turned 12 years old or women who underwent menopause after the age of 55 are more likely to get breast cancer.
- If you drink more than two shots of alcohol daily you may be more likely to get breast cancer.
- Women who have kids after 30 years old or who never get pregnant have a more likely chance of getting breast cancer. If you have had at least one child and had it before the age of 30, you are less likely to get it.
- If your mother took DES to keep from having a miscarriage you may be more likely to get breast cancer.
- If you take hormone replacement therapy it could cause a higher risk for breast cancer.
- If you are obese it can cause a higher risk of breast cancer.
- If you have ever received large doses of radiation in the chest area you may also be at a greater risk of breast tumour.
Things that do not cause breast cancer
Some other important breast cancer facts are that there are myths about some things that people think cause more of a risk of breast cancer, but are false. For instance, if you wear an underwire bra or use antiperspirants, these things do not cause breast cancer.