Recipe for Stuffed French Toast
Stuffed French Toast Recipe
Easy Sunday Brunch
Stuffed French Toast
This recipe is easy to prepare and delicious to eat. It will appeal to everyone that you invite to your table for Sunday Brunch. In addition to the following list of ingredients, please see the Recipe Options below for more wonderful substitutions to make it your own.
You will need;
- 1 loaf (about 16 slices) of thick-sliced bread (I like to use Texas Toast because it is thick and perfectly square).
- 1 container of chocolate spread or chocolate cream cheese (Philadelphia makes a delicious chocolate cream cheese that has fewer calories than Nutella chocolate hazelnut spread).
- 8 large egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- Maple syrup (100% pure maple syrup is our favorite)
- Preheat your oven to 450F
- Spray a large baking pan (at least 9"x11") with cooking oil
- Spread about 1 tablespoon of chocolate spread or chocolate cream cheese onto each of 8 slices of thick bread.
- Top with the remaining 8 slices of bread to make 8 sandwiches
- Whisk together, in a large mixing bowl, the eggs, milk, nutmeg, cinnamon and vanilla.
- Pour this over all sandwiches to cover.
At this point, you may leave it in the fridge overnight or bake right away.
Baking Your Stuffed French Toast
- Your oven should be preheated to 450F as stated above.
- Bake the Stuffed French Toast, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes.
- Check it often; bread should become puffy and golden in color.
Serve each Stuffed French Toast sandwich with 1 tablespoon of maple syrup.
This recipe makes 8 servings of 1 sandwich each.
This recipe lends itself to just about any ingredient you wish to stuff into these yummy sandwiches. We love to add thinly sliced fruit; top each slice of bread evenly with the fruit of your choice over the chocolate spread and before closing the sandwich. We often add bananas, strawberries or raspberries with the chocolate cream cheese. Also, using plain cream cheese is just as delicious and tastes great with just about any type of fruit and sliced almonds as well. The sky's the limit with this adaptable recipe that is sure to become a favorite at your breakfast table.
Nutritional Information: 345 calories per serving; 8 g of fat (6 saturated fat); 353 mg sodium; 54 g carbohydrates (2 g fibre); 14 g protein. This nutritional information is based on the basic recipe and could change depending on whether you add fruit, nuts, whole eggs, extra maple syrup and/or butter.