Ensuring that one’s building and contents insurance covers a new home purchase is often last on the list of priorities for those who have just found on a new residence. After all, there is so much else to do between painting the new home, buying new furniture, packing up the old house, and more. Yet without an adequate homeowners insurance policy for the new home, all of this effort can be for naught. This is because a loss could take all these things away permanently if there is no coverage written for the new home. Getting a new policy, however, need not be complicated, especially when homeowners have an existing relationship with one of the many home insurers that are out there.

Look into Keeping Your Existing Building and Contents Insurance Coverage

In most cases, it is easy to transfer your existing contents coverage so that it will take care of a new residence, and this applies whether you own the home and need homeowners insurance or if you are renting and simply need home renter insurance. Homeowners or renters should examine their existing coverage to see if it can be transferred immediately. Sometimes an existing building and contents insurance policy will automatically protect a new residence for a limited period of time. If this is the case, coverage can be transferred after the move is complete. 

Transferring Contents Insurance Coverage

Generally speaking, a homeowners insurance policy can usually be changed to cover the new residence simply by calling the insurer or meeting with the company face to face. Contact information will be available in the existing insurance policy itself or on the company’s website. It is essential when transferring building and contents coverage that you have an accurate list of the contents that the policy will need to cover as well as an estimation of their total worth. Part II of this current article series explains how homeowners can get such a list and keep it safely stored.

Cautions When Transferring Building and Contents Insurance Coverage

Homeowners should understand that depending on the location of their new residence, their existing insurer might be willing to write a policy for their contents but not for their home’s structure. This is particularly true if the homeowner is moving to a disaster-prone area such as a coastal location that suffers the impact of hurricanes frequently. If this is the case, the homeowner will want to compare the coverage options that other insurers in the area may offer. It may be cheaper to stick with the contents insurance coverage offered through the existing insurance company and buy structural coverage from another insurer. On the other hand, policy discounts might make it less expensive to change insurers completely and have the same company write a policy for both the building and the contents. Only a bit of research on the part of the homeowner can answer this question, for each insurance company is different, and each area of the country has different coverage possibilities.


Making sure that a new home is covered under one’s building and contents insurance policy is essential to safeguarding a homeowner’s investment. Follow these steps to make sure you are prepared in the event of a property loss.