Building and contents insurance typically covers the replacement cost of jewelry, furniture, clothing, books, and other possessions when they are destroyed in a natural disaster such as a fire, hurricane, tornado, or earthquake. Likewise, homeowners insurance will also cover a loss that is due to theft or damage from vandalism. What is not often considered, however, is the need to cover the loss of food because of a power outage, fire, or water damage. Perishable foods can go bad when the power goes out, and even boxed or canned items can also be rendered inedible in the event of a disaster. Having coverage for food items in a building and contents insurance plan can help ensure that you are covered in the event of a loss.

Building and Contents Insurance Versus Food Insurance

Coverage for food items in a homeowners or home renter insurance plan is not the same thing as the food insurance that is often hyped in our day. Food insurance that provides meals for a period of time in the event that a person cannot get access to food and water is promoted on many television and radio programs, often in conjunction with some kind of doomsday scenario. For example, many people believe the government is about to fail and that the ensuing chaos will limit our access to food. Of course, no one knows what will happen in the future, but even if such an unlikely doomsday scenario were to occur, how are food insurers going to distribute food to policyholders if chaos is reigning? Most experts, therefore, find food insurance to be a waste of money.

Contents Coverage for Your Pantry and Freezer

Contents insurance usually covers everything in a person’s home, with a few exceptions. Since food in the freezer, refrigerator, or pantry is also usually classified as part of a home’s contents, a good building and contents insurance policy is going to cover food items. One need not worry that a full freezer of food can be lost forever in the event of a power outage, because good contents coverage will pay to replace any such loss. The hundreds of dollars that might need be needed to replace such food will be reimbursed. Thus, those who have a contents policy that covers food never need to be afraid to keep their homes well stocked with food, and they should be able to take advantage of any grocery store sale to fill their freezer or pantry.


Homeowners who want to know if their building and contents insurance covers the food in their pantry or freezer should read the fine print of their policy or consult their insurance agent. If such coverage is lacking, it is not difficult to add it to an existing policy. All that the homeowner will need to do is make sure that he or she has a rough idea of the dollar value of the food in the home. Get an average for the entire year so that you will be prepared for a loss in any month of the year. You can go about arriving at this title the same way you would prepare a list of your home contents for contents coverage.


Building and contents insurance protects our possessions, even those possessions that we end up eating. Make sure you have adequate coverage for food items and do not worry about a separate food insurance plan.