Nice firm heads of green leafy cabbage are packed with nutrition while being low in calories. A 100 g serving of green cabbage has only 25 calories and almost no fat, depending on how it is prepared. This same 100 g serving has some 61% of the vitamin C and 63% of the vitamin K needed daily by adults. Cabbage, like most green leafy vegetables, is a good source of antioxidants such as, lutein, xanthin, and sulforaphane, which are known cancer fighters. In terms of minerals, cabbage supplies the body with potassium, iron, magnesium, and manganese, which are all necessary for healthy bones and blood.
Cabbage lends itself to all kinds of recipes, from soups and stews, to coleslaw, tacos, and side dishes. Many Asian, German, and Indian dishes use cabbage as a main ingredient. It can be eaten raw, baked, boiled, steamed, or picked, just to name a few of the numerous ways people enjoy this cole crop.
If you have a family that likes cabbage, they are sure to like this recipe. The flavors of the cabbage and beef mingle all day in the slow cooker and are intensified by the tomatoes and onion.
2 lbs of lean ground beef
1 large onion - chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 cup uncooked white Rice
3 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes or 1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
6 oz can tomatoe paste
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
3 lbs Green cabbage, washed, cored, and chopped
1. Brown the ground beef in a skillet with the onion, stirring to breakup the ground beef. Drain off any fat.
2. Add the rice, salt and pepper to the meat mixture and mix well.
3. Mix the chopped or canned tomatoes with the tomato paste and 1/2 cup of water. Stir well to get the paste to dissolve.
4. Add 1 cup of the tomato mixture to the beef and rice in the skillet and mix well.
5. Add the lemon juice and brown sugar to the rest of the tomatoe mixture.
6. Place the chopped cabbage in the bottom of the slow cooker.
7. Top the cabbage with the beef mixture but do not mix.
8. Pour the lemon juice/sugar mixture over the beef mixture.
9. Cover and cook on low heat for 6 hours.