Perhaps. But, then again...perhaps not. Remember, what people say isn't always what they feel. Being over weight may be hanging just as heavily on your friends as it is on you.
What they may or may not feel inside really doesn't matter, because this is about you! And you want to shed those extra pounds (or kilos) and once again become that skinny person that lives inside you.
You can lose the weight, but you're going to have to forget most of what you may believe to be true about weight loss. You must replace what you think about losing weight with one simple truth...
Why You Can't Lose Weight
Sometimes we tend to forget the familiar. What we know to be true gets lost on our search for alternatives because we think that truth is too hard. But, with weight loss, one simple truth is the only path to success.
And that truth is: The only way to lose weight is to burn more calories than you consume.
Every effective weight loss program, weight loss diet, and weight loss pill ever invented was designed to help you to do this one thing. Even the latest and greatest weight loss program from (insert your favorite celebrity here) will have "When Used With Diet and Exercise" somewhere in their ad or commercial. Usually in the small print, because they don't want the truth making it's way back to the front of your mind.
You can't allow that to happen. If you have to, force the truth to the front, and keep it there. Evaluate every weight loss program or idea that you consider with the truth as your lens.
Fuel to Fat | Fat to Fuel
Calories are the fuel of life to your body. They are burned to produce the energy your body needs to function.
I'm sure that you already know this, but it's an important fact that you must consider when developing your weight loss regimen.
Calories are not just used for your controlled movements, but for involuntary muscle activities, as well. Every time that your heart beats or you take a breath calories are required to fuel the muscles that make those things happen.
They are so important that Mother Nature designed within you the ability to store extra calories that you may consume, but not immediately need. Your body stores them in fat cells. This makes these stored calories available for your body to use should it need more calories than you are currently consuming.
If you are over weight, absent a medical reason, the fact is that you are continually consuming more calories than your body needs, and your body continues to follow Mother Nature's plan, storing extra calories as fat.
If you want to lose that extra fat, you must reverse this process! There's just no other way.
Weight Loss by the Numbers
Medical professionals will tell you that, to lose one pound of body fat, you must burn about 3600 calories.
In a practical sense, this means that, to lose one pound of fat per week, you must burn 3600 more calories than you consume.
Let me say that again...To lose one pound of fat per week, you must burn 3600 more calories than you consume.
That, Grasshopper, is the elusive secret to weight loss. Ignore it and "can't lose weight" will be a permanent condition for your entire life.
Weight Loss in Real Life
First, you don't have to starve yourself to lose weight. Nor do you have to try to live on nothing but leaves and twigs.
By way of example, let me tell you my story.
I, too, struggled with a weight problem for years. I, too, tried every fad diet and pill that came along, to no avail.
And, I, too, knew the secret, but I also believed that I didn't have the will power to do the things I thought I must do to shed the extra pounds. Quite a few extra pounds, actually.
In my mind I saw it as an "all or nothing" kind of thing. "Leaves and twigs" or "can't lose weight".
But...I was wrong. Very wrong!
Being over weight is not a condition that appears overnight. It comes slowly, over a period of time. And the best way to lose it is in the same fashion. I know because it's the way that I did it.
On the consumption side, I did 3 things:
- I did give up some of the worst foods in my diet. You know the foods that I mean, and you'll do well to eliminate the truly bad ones from your diet, as well.
- Fortunately, those foods were a very small part of my overall diet. As for the rest, I didn't give them up, I simply began taking smaller portions. You'll be amazed at how many calories you can eliminate before they ever get the chance to turn to fat. Just by taking smaller portions.
- And, finally, once I started paying attention to what I was eating, I realized that much of it was high in carbohydrates. Carbs are nothing but sugar in another form, but I dreaded giving them up. Instead, I began taking a natural carb blocker to stop my body from turning the carbohydrates to sugar, and then to calories. To be honest, I don't know if this carb blocker is really helping or not. But, I have lost weight, and I'd rather not take the chance and stop using it.
As for burning more calories, again, not rocket science.
- Never use an elevator! Take the stairs instead, and watch the fat fall off.
- If you have an errand to run close to home, leave the car alone and walk.
- When you're out shopping or going to work, park your car as far away from the entrance as you can. These short walks can really burn the calories.
- Even small things help. For instance, standing at the kitchen sink and washing the dishes from dinner will burn more calories than using the dishwasher. I feel sure that, if you think about it, you can find a lot of things in your life that you could change that will help.
To be sure, I'm not advocating that you follow my methods exactly. What I am saying is that if you think you can't lose weight, then you won't. If, however, you set your mind to it, find what works for you, and do it until it becomes habit, that skinny person that is inside of you will be a lot closer to finally getting to the outside.