What Do I Need to Know About Jump Packs?
Do you feel like you always have to talk a friend into jump starting your car?
Do you leave the car's lights on way too often for your own good?
Do you want to be able to shoot lasers across the forest?
If you answered "YES!!!" to any of this, keep reading!
Car jump starters a really great, affordable way to save yourself, when your battery does die at an unfortunate time.
With a car jump starter, you don't have to deal with the hassle of pulling out jumper cables, flagging down a stranger and convincing them to jump you if they can even pull their car close enough to yours. All that hassle is now gone!Credit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/foxtongue/
With a car jump starter, all you've got to do is open up your hood, connect the clamps and start your engine. It's really that simple and easy to have your car up and running again. And did we mentions shooting lasers across the forest?
Amazon Price: $145.68 $97.28 Buy Now
(price as of Jun 16, 2013)
These battery boosters come in a price ranging anywhere from $30 to $300. That's quite a range, if you ask me! In order to inform you, I've outlined all major features in my brief guide below.
- Amount of Peak Amps - This statistic tells you how much power is stored inside the battery when fully charged. The more power, the better, as more power is needed when starting a cold battery in the winter, or a completely dead battery at any time of the year! Keep in mind that these packs cannot charge a completely dead battery like jumper cables can over time. But, if they get the car started, the alternator will recharge the battery over your trip!
- Power Inverter Built In - Many units have a household power outlet on the side, which is really useful for keeping the kids entertained, camping, and did we mention shooting lasers in the forest?
- Flashlight - When you're stuck on the side of the road with a flat tire, or in a parking lot at night needing a jump, this is a great feature to have! It's amazing what sight can do! It's also easier to use the on-board flashlight instead of your smartphone or other flashlight that requires a third hand.
- Air Compressor - With a built in air compressor, many units can pump up a flat tire so that you can get to the tire shop to change it, or just re-adjust your air levels when winter comes!
- Radio/Aux Input - This really isn't a necessity to get your car rolling, but turns your jump pack into a camping, working, playing machine!
- Fridge, TV and GPS? - I think not, but you never know when they're going to come out with next!
Amazon Price: $174.95 Too low to display Buy Now
(price as of Jun 16, 2013)
If you haven't jumped a car before, or at least haven't used a jump starter, let me outline how easy it is for you to start your dead battery with one of these products.
The first step is to always charge your jump pack after you buy it, it usually requires 36 hours, but check the box of the particular unit you have bought.
When your car battery does die, pull that charged jump pack out of your trunk and open your hood. Find a place to sit the pack down that is not on top of the battery or any moving parts inside the engine.
Hook up the battery leads to the clips on the booster pack. First, hook up the positive/red, then the negative/black lead. Turn the unit on via the power button if there is one. Some units have these, but others do not, so know if advance what type you have!
Wait a minute.
Start your car. Once your car has successfully started, you're ready to disconnect your jump pack. Start with the negative/black lead, and then pull the positive/red lead. Keep your car running for at least 10 minutes, and do not stop it for anything! It needs to recharge your battery!
Sweet success! You've jumped your car! Congradulations!
If you are looking to buy a jump pack, here is my guide to the top jump packs on the market today!