Caramel popcorn balls are a favorite and can be enjoyed anytime of the year. For some reason, they seem to be a seasonal favorite in the fall around Halloween. Perhaps, because fall is apple harvest time, and a time for caramel apples.
Caramel popcorn balls is simply popcorn covered in caramel formed into a ball. There are two types of caramel. One is lighter and made from white sugar, and the other is made from brown sugar. Both can be used to create this sweet crunch confections. For variety the nuts, such as almonds or peanuts, can be added.
The caramel popcorn ball recipe is easy, providing you do not make your own caramel. Buy it instead.
The hardest part of the recipe is popping your own corn in a kettle instead of a microwave. To pop corn in a kettle, you will need a 1/2 cup of popcorn.
- Use a pot large enough to hold two quarts and has a lid.
- Just cover the bottom with vegetable oil.
- Â Preheat the oil until it begins to smoke.Â
- Carefully pour in the popcorn and cover.Â
- Shake the pot back an forth while the corn is popping to prevent burning.Â
- Pour out immediately into a serving bowl when the popping has stopped.Â
- Lightly salt.Â
Of course, there is an easier alternative to popping your own popcorn, either use microwave popcorn, or buy it already popped.
The next step is to get a bag of Kraft caramels instead of making your own.
- Place the caramels in a pot with two tablespoons of water and melt over a low heat.Â
- Pour the melted product over the popcorn and mix.Â
Now you have caramel popcorn.
The next step is to turn it into balls.
- Cover your hands in butter. This will do two things. The first is to keep the mixture from sticking to you and the second is to protect you from the heat.Â
- Next grab a handful of the mixture and pack it together like a snowball.
- Form it into any size you would Â like.Â
- Place the ball onto wax paper to cool and harden.
That's it, a caramel popcorn recipe easy. Easy, except for cleaning up the mess.
A less messy way is to just buy it. Or, if you just want caramel corn, you can find microwave varieties.
Kraft caramels are 160 calories per serving, which is about the same as microwave caramel corn. Enjoy.