It is one of the most widely used and admired planting pots: Ceramic planters are not only popular for their unique designs and styling, but also for their efficient flower planting properties. Ceramic planters are often termed as fine art material, as most people use them for indoor or outdoor decorations. They are made through the traditional techniques of making pottery. The strength and quality of the ceramic planters depends upon the type of clay used to make the ceramic planter.
Ceramic planters come in various shapes and sizes. In general, the most popular types are tall, rectangular shape, urn shaped, square shaped, round shaped and oval shaped ceramic planters. Ceramic glazed planters are used as excellent decorative items in houses or hotels.
Advantages of using ceramic planters
Using ceramic planters in your garden has many advantages:
* They have porous walls, allowing air and moisture to penetrate through the sides of the pot.
*They are heavy, providing excellent balance for large or heavy plants.
* They are suitable for most plants. These provide ideal conditions for plants that love dry soil due to the porosity of the clay used for making the pots.
* They also help removing moisture from the soil. This feature of the ceramic pots can be looked as both an advantage and as a disadvantage, depending upon the watering need of the plants.
* They are very inexpensive. The prices vary from $5 to more than $450, depending upon the glazing, design and size of the ceramic planters.
Disadvantages of ceramic planters are:
* Ceramic planters have a tendency to dry quickly; this property can be a problem for moisture loving plants.
* Ceramic planters have a tendency to form a white crust outside the pot. This is formed when mineral salts dissolved in the water are washed from the potting medium outside, through the pot wall. Some find this layer attractive; however most gardeners find it unsightly. The salt deposits can be scrubbed off if their appearance looks unpleasant.
* Ceramic planters break easily, so extreme care should be taken while moving them from one place to another.
Things to consider
When choosing a ceramic planter for your home, always consider the following things:
* Buy a ceramic planter according to the plant you are going to grow in it. If it is a small sized plant, such as a bonsai, a small ceramic pot is sufficient; if it is a heavy plant, a heavy planter is appropriate.
* Always take in account the watering needs of plants, because water in ceramic planters evaporates from the sides of the pot. If a plant needs a lot of water for its growth, the ceramic plant may not be the best option for it.
* Always choose a pot which is wider at the top than at its bottom for a better growth of the plants.
Where to buy
Where can you get these ceramic flower planters? You can buy beautifully crafted ceramic planters from your nearby pottery store or from Wal-Mart. If you don’t have any stores nearby, look for online shops, such as www.arizonapottery.com and www.p-wholesale.com for the best deals on glazed and unglazed ceramic planters. If you are looking for discounts, you can search the internet to find good deals on ceramic planters.