Many college students are looking to save money wherever they can. One of the most costly expenditures is text books. The average new textbook costs anywhere from 50 dollars to well over 250 dollars. The way to get around this expense is to look for some alternatives to new books. Below is a list of places to find text books at discounted prices.
- Half.com/Amazon-You can get some really great deals on these sites. Just enter the ISBN, title or author and most text books will be available and sometimes at 50% less than the regular price. These are used books but they are usually in great condition, unless you request a book in fair condition that would of course cost less.
- PDF Files-Many textbooks have been digitally transcribed and are hiding out somewhere online. This will take a bit of research but it will be well worth it to locate a copy of your textbook. This means you can basically get your textbook for free.
- Electronic Version-You can normally get these e-books at discounted prices since you are not paying for an actual paper book. Most college syllabuses will let you know if this is an acceptable form. Some teachers don’t require that you purchase the book; instead that you purchase the code that unlocks most of the information they will be going over during the semester or quarter. Make sure you review the syllabus or ask the professor prior to purchasing a textbook you may not need.
- College Bookstore-Many college bookstores allow students to sell their books back at the end of the semester at a discounted price. This works in your favor as you can go to the bookstore and purchase a used book for 40 to 50 percent less than a new textbook. Don't forget to sell the book back to the bookstore when you complete the class.
- College Message Boards-Check out the postings on your local college message boards to find great deals on text books. Students looking to make some quick cash are sometimes willing to sell their books at much lower prices which is a savings for you.
- Craigslist-This San Francisco based online classified website is where many students list their books from the previous semester. Look under the "For Sale" area and then go down to "Books" and see what they have. Your textbook may just be sitting there waiting to be bought.
School expenses don’t have to blow your budget if you can find some ways to cut costs. By doing a little home work you can find some great deals on your textbooks. This one little cost cutting step can save you hundreds if not thousands of dollars over the life of your college career. For most students that leaves more money for eating and partying. Now go and find those books!