Multi-Purpose Baking Soda
Good for Your Health and Good for Your Wallet
Baking soda is wonderful to have on hand for use in place of cleaning products that wear on the environment and are full of chemicals. Bicarbonate of soda is natural and can be purchased cheaply in large amounts at your local supermarket.
Of course, if you have large amounts of baking soda on hand, here are some ways you can use it:
* It absorbs odors. You can stick an open full box of it in the fridge to absorb smells or sprinkle a little bit in the bottom of food storage bins (in the fridge or elsewhere).
* It unclogs drains. Use a quarter cup of baking soda and follow up with hot water to clear a blocked drain. If baking soda and hot water doesn’t unclog the drain you can try baking soda, follow it with vinegar then hot water. You can also use baking soda to maintain an open drain.
* It can be used as an all-purpose cleaner. It can be used to clean almost anything. Just sprinkle some on the surface and work on it with a damp sponge.
* It can clean pans. It’s especially good for cleaning burnt-on food stuck to pots and pans. Just soak the pan in a little water and baking soda before cleaning.
* It can be used in the laundry. Add a half a cup of baking soda to your laundry with your detergent to boost cleaning.
* It can be used for lime deposits. A baking soda and vinegar paste applied to shower heads or sink plugs will get rid of limescale.
* It cleans carpets. The night before vacuuming, sprinkle your carpet with baking soda and let it sit. Vacuum the next day.
* It absorbs moisture. It is particularly useful for absorbing moisture and freshening musty cupboards.
* It melts ice and snow. In the places around the outside of your house where you would usually sprinkle salt, sprinkle baking soda instead. It lowers water’s freezing point.
* It deodorizes. It will even deodorizes a person! Dust the underarms a bit with baking soda for a natural alternative to commercial deodorant.
* It can be used to brush teeth. (yes, I know this is use #11 but bear with me.) My mother swears by baking soda as a replacement for regular toothpaste. She says it does a great job of keeping her teeth clean. And if you don't mind the taste of baking soda, it can definitely be used as a natural, non-toxic toothpaste.
Baking soda has many uses and is cheap to buy in large quantities at your local grocery store. It offers a healthy, non-toxic alternative to most traditional cleaning solutions.