In February 2005, Dillard's department stores agreed to pay around $15 million in order to settle a case involving a 7-year-old girl who lost her three fingers due to an escalator accident that happened in 2002.
According to reports, the accident occurred while Kerriana Johnson was on a 32-year-old escalator at the Tyrone Square Mall in St. Petersburg, Florida.
She is just one of the many children who have been injured due to an escalator accident. In fact, statistics revealed at least 2,000 children receive emergency room treatment each year because of escalator-related injuries.
Avoiding Escalator Accidents
Escalator is known as one of the most expensive and the largest machines that both children and adults use on a daily basis. However, it is also considered as a dangerous, especially for children who are unsupervised by adults.
It is the duty of parents to protect their kids from escalator accidents. They can save their child from it by remembering these tips:
- Make sure that the laces of your child's shoes are properly tied. Remember that even a string can suddenly get stuck in a moving elevator.
- If the fabric of your child's clothing gets stuck, try to pull it out. If you failed to do so, remove your child's clothing immediately.
- Secure your child while he is riding escalators because he is ignorant of the dangers he is facing and the possible accidents he might be involved in.
- Carry you child while riding escalators and avoid putting him in walkers, carts, or strollers.
- Make sure that your child is holding the escalator's handrail because it will lessen the risk of tripping or falling. Handrails are designed to keep people in place while the machine moves upward or downward.
- Never let your child ride an escalator alone.
- Know where the emergency shut-off button is located. It will enable you to stop the machine from moving when an accident happens.
Seeking Legal Guidance
If your child was injured in an escalator accident, it is advisable that you immediately seek the legal help of a personal injury lawyer. If the incident happened because the machine was not properly maintained, this legal expert will help you fight for your rights in order to be compensated by the party at fault.