As stated in my other article on easy cupcake recipes, cupcakes can be ade with any layer cake recipe but the baking time will be less. These two recipes can be made into cakes or cupcakes but the baking time for the cupcake will be less.
CHOCOLATE CHIP CAKE
This is an easy and tasty cake that shockingly doesn't even include baking powder. I know that there are so many chocolate chip cake recipes out there but you only have to try this out once to love it. ALL THE BEST
I am grateful to my friend and her sister who introduced me to this awesome recipe. THUMBS UP!
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 cups flour
- 240 g butter
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2 cups cashew nuts
- 400 g dark chocolate chopped or chocolate chips
- 1 tsp. vanilla essence
- Separate the eggs. white and yolk in separate bowls.
- Beat sugar and butter until sugar dissolves completely.
- Add the yolks one by one and beat well.
- Sieve the flour 3 times. Why we sieve is to aerate the flour so that the cake rises well.
- Add the cashew nuts and the chocolate chips to the flour and mix with your hand.
- Now fold the flour into the cake batter.
- Beat the eggs until light and fluffy. Now fold this too into the cake mixture but don't beat.
- Add the vanilla and mix.
- Grease an 8 inch tray and pour the batter in it. You can use lovely shapes to bake your chocolate chip cake.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 - 40 minutes or until done. Insert a toothpick and if it comes out clean then it's done. (Baking time for cupcakes will be 20 minutes, then again it does depend on the oven too)
- You can eat is just like that, it will be delicious. I prefer not to add any coating as the cake has its share of chocolate chips.
CHOCOLATE LAVA CAKE
This recipe too will turn out perfect. Make sure you use the right sized muffin cups.
- 150g dark chocolate
- 20g flour
- pinch of salt
- 2 eggs and 1 yolk
- 10g cocoa powder + 1 tbsp. to dust
- 80g butter +1 tbsp. to grease
- 90g powdered sugar/castor sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla essence
- 4 muffin cups
(Size of cup- disposable aluminum cups. 3 1/8 inches across, 2 1/4 inches at the bottom and 1 1/2 inches deep)
- Chop the chocolate.
- Double boil or microwave with a tsp. of icing sugar.
- Once done add the butter and stir well till it melts.
- Remove off the heat and let it cool.
- Add the eggs into a bowl and beat it for 8 minutes.
- Add the sugar and beat for 10 more minutes.
- Add the cool chocolate mixer and the vanilla essence; beat till all the ingredients are combined.
- Sieve together the flour and cocoa powder.
- Add the pinch of salt.
- Add this to the batter and mix using a wooden spoon till there are no lumps.
- Grease the muffin trays with butter then coat it with some cocoa powder.
- Pour the cake batter equally into these four containers.
- Bake is on 360F for exactly 13 minutes. Do not bake even one more minute.
- If you bake even for 15 minutes the center will not be like lava.
- After they are baked take them out of the oven and let it cool for 5 minutes.
- Now turn it onto a dessert plate and sprinkle some castor sugar on top. (The greasing and coating will make it easy for the cake to be turned out)
- If you are making the same for cupcake liners then the baking time has to be 5 minutes or less.
- Lava cake is actually special chocolate cake baked for less time so that the center remains uncooked thus like lava.
You will not need any frosting for these 2 cakes as they are already full of chocolate. But if you need one, then try this simple method.
- 100g cooking chocolate (any kind)
- 1 tbsp. castor sugar
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. milk
Double boil or microwave all 4 ingredients together till the chocolate has melted. Pour on the cake while it's still hot.
DID YOU KNOW..................
- Chocolates were used from 6th century AD.
- Chocolate drinks were consumed even before 1900 BC.
- The process of making smooth chocolate is called conching.
- Western Africa produces 2/3 of world's cocoa.
- Cocoa butter machines were made in the 18th century.
- The word that chocolate is derived the Aztecs and means 'bitter water'.
- The first book of chocolates was compiled in Mexico in 1609.
- Milk chocolate was invented by Daniel Peter i 1875.
- Chocolate was included in the diet of astronauts in space.
- More women than men like chocolate.
- Chocolate is high in fat but surprisingly does not raise the blood cholesterol level.
- America consumes the most amount of chocolate; almost HALF the world's amount.
- Dark chocolate stored properly will keep for 10 years!
- Chocolate helps in serotonin release. (Hormone in charge of lifting ones mood and making them happy)
- Cocoa beans were used as currency by the Aztec.
- Couvertures are chocolates rich in cocoa butter.
TYPES OF CHCOCOLATE
Chocolate without the non-fat ingredients from cocoa, that is why the chocolate has a white color.
20% cocoa solid and 12% milk solids. This is light brown in color.
This chocolate can be sweet, bittersweet, semi-sweet, unsweetened. It normally contains 12% milk solids and the rest cocoa solids.
This chocolate has 100% cocoa solids and is very bitter. Unsweetened chocolate is used in using when the recipe states so.
This chocolate contains at least 15% liquor.
BITTER SWEET CHOCOLATE
This is also known as semi-sweet chocolate. This is a dark chocolate that contains at least 35% cocoa solids and mostly contains 60% cocoa solids. This is often used in cooking and has a rich flavor.
This is chocolate made with hazelnuts that are toasted and has a lovely flavor of hazelnuts.
All types of the above chocolates can be found under baking chocolates.
HOPE YOU ENJOYED READING MY ARTICLE AND IT WOULD MAKE ME HAPPY IF YOU CAN LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW.