There are millions of beauty products such as lotions, moisturisers, shampoos, conditioners, serums, the list goes on and on. Though, most of these products contain many unnatural ingredients that you've never heard of that are unpronounceable. Sometimes going back to natural products gives you the best result, and the biggest benefits of them is that because they are natural, they are great for your body containing no preservatives, chemicals, or toxins.
Today, I would like to discuss the many beauty benefits of Coconut Oil.Credit: coconut oil
1. Coconut Oil for Hair
Using Coconut Oil for hair health has been around for thousands of years. It is one of the few natural oils that can actually penetrate the hair shaft, moisturising the follicle from the inside out, thus, being able to actually repair damaged hair. Also, coconut oil has unique antiviral properties, making it the best product to use when fighting hair lice, and also eliminating dandruff.
Because of coconut oil's properties, it can be used as a good protection against heat and environmental impurities, sort of providing a shield of protection for your hair. Also, coconut oil is very high in nutrients, such as vitamin E, K, and iron.
Coconut Oil for Hair Growth
With all the benefits mentioned above, coconut oil is extremely good for your hair, and with it's antibacterial and moisturising properties, coconut oil can actually help promote hair growth.
- Since coconut oil in it's raw form is actually a solid, you will need to heat it up to liquify it. It is suggesting that you heat it up while in a bowl over boiling water, NOT microwaving it.
- Make sure to dampen your hair before you start.
- Then, massage the warm oil into your scalp to circulate blood flow, and moving down to the ends saturating all of your hair. Since it is oil, your hair will be very greasy, so it is best to do this as an overnight treatment and washing it out in the morning, giving it plenty of time to repair and hydrate your hair and scalp.
- You can also do a quicker treatment by leaving it on anywhere from at least 30 minutes to 2-3 hours, depending on how much time you have.
I also have another article on overall hair health here.
You can buy coconut oil at any health food or whole food store, or even grocery stores if they have an organic section. The oil I use and just bought for about $7 today was the Spectrum Organic Coconut Oil.Credit: mine
2. Coconut Oil for Skin
As mentioned above, coconut oil contains antiviral properties. When applied to the skin, it can act in the same basic way as hand sanitizer, but much for moisturising and nourishing. Also, because coconut oil is high in fat, again, is extremely moisturising leaving your skin feel super soft and glowing.
Since coconut oil contains vitamin E, this can act as protection against premature aging and help reduce the appearance of wrinkles and lines.
Coconut oil can also be used a lip moisturiser, makeup remover, and as a cleanser.
- Combine coconut oil with other natural products such as unrefined sugar, oatmeal, or even salt, and can be a great exfoliant for the skin as well as retaining the moisture in your skin by using coconut oil as a base.
Other Uses of Coconut Oil
1. healthier alternative to other cooking oils, safe to use on higher heat settings
2. eat it in it's raw form for all it's healthy benefits (about a teaspoon)
3. use it in salad dressings
4. home-made deodorant
6. stretch mark prevention
7. helps even skin tone
8. tanning oil
10. oil pulling - Many people have never heard of oil pulling. People have sworn by this. Basically, what you do is heat up a little bit of oil and use it like mouthwash, but keep it in your mouth while swishing it back and forth through your teeth for about 15-20 minutes. They say that it is best to do this in the morning on an empty stomach, and it draws of all the toxins within your body and can help whiten teeth as well as make you feel much more energized.