Coconut oil is one of the most commonly used oil that is extracted from the kernel of dried coconut. Since centuries, coconut oil has been globally used for its medicinal properties. Being one of the richest sources of saturated fatty acids, it has a very distinct taste and aroma.
Coconut oil brand has a very rich heritage and was used by our ancestors for various purposes. While natives of Papua New Guinea used this oil as a moisturizer for their skin, hair conditioning, cooking, treating cuts and bruises, traditional medical practices have included this as one of the key ingredients in Ayurvedic medicine. On the other hand residents of Panama used to consume coconut oil believing that it aids in improving body immunity and resistance.
Experience the Many Benefits of Coconut Oil
Benefits of Coconut Oil
Unlike most other animal fats, saturated fats of coconut oil contain medium chain fatty acids which tend to get burnt almost immediately after consumption. This is the reason why it is incapable of enhancing blood cholesterol levels of our body. Recent studies have shown that coconut oil is effective in preventing heart diseases, diabetes, cancer, osteoporosis, dental decay, skin infections, liver and kidney diseases.
- It can also capable of curbing viral and bacterial infections like influenza, hepatitis C, herpes, measles, pneumonia, urinary tract infection and other fungal and yeast infections.
- It is also effective in relieving us from symptoms that are related to pancreatic disorders, cysts, inflammation, enlargement of prostate, ulcers in colitis/stomach, various other skin diseases and ccelerates and improves the functioning of the thyroid gland.
- Coconut oil is also regarded for its healing and repairing properties. When used as a cream, this oil has the capacity to smoothen and heal irritated or affected areas of our skin.
- Coconut oil acts as a natural conditioner when applied to our hair and also fights dandruff.
- Prevents premature aging of skin and can even be used as a regular oil for hair care.
- Offers relief from pain caused due to arthritis.
Beauty Benefits of Organic Virgin Coconut Oil Brands
Coconut Oil and Weight Loss
Apart from what has been stated above, coconut oil is a boon in disguise for all of us who are always in the look out for ways to shed those extra kilos. Well, as stated earlier, saturated fat present in coconut oil does not get accumulated in the body, instead it gets burnt up immediately thus releasing energy. The secret to weight loss as we all know is to enhance metabolic rate of the body and thus burn stored fats. The medium chain fatty acids present in coconut oil are capable of helping you achieve desired results within no time.
Is Coconut Oil REALLY Healthy?
Dr. Joseph Mercola about health benefits of coconut oil
Categorization of coconut oil
As with most other oils, coconut oil can also be categorized into four- refined, virgin coconut oil, hydrogenated oil and fractionated oil.
Refined oil- as the name suggests, this is the processed form of oil hence it does not consist the taste or aroma of coconut. This type of oil is produced after subjecting coconut extract to a series of chemical reactions conducted at high temperatures.
Virgin oil is extracted from fresh coconut kernel without subjecting it to any chemical process.
Hydrogenated oil is made through a process called hydrogenation where hydrogen molecules are passed through oil.
Unrefined oil- this is rather the pure form of coconut oil and hence has that fresh taste or aroma. Unrefined oils are non hydrogenated, cholesterol and Trans fat free product hence it has numerous health benefits associated with it. However, prices are slightly higher than refined oil but it is definitely worth its price. Desired results could be drawn if and only if you purchase the right kind of oil.
Virgin Coconut Oil Health Benefits explained by Dr Talbot
Few tips that can guide us in making a decision while buying the best Coconut Oil brands
- Looks are deceptive. This holds good for many products. The packaging of the oil bottle may be great but what really concerns us is the ingredients that go into its making. So make sure you check the ingredients used for making the oil.
- Pick unrefined oil as its flavor, aroma and health benefits are outstanding.
- Check on the color and aroma. Fair white appearance backed by pleasant aroma is a sure test for pure coconut oil.
Now that I have familiarized you with the different types of coconut oil, its origin and healing properties, let us now look at the top 2 brands of oil and their features.
Amazon Price: $78.00 $54.71 Buy Now
(price as of May 18, 2013)
Nutiva organic extra virgin coconut oil
- This is a cold pressed, organic, extra virgin oil with a pleasant aroma, taste and white appearance.
- Nutiva organic extra virgin is 100% unrefined oil with absolutely zero Trans fats and high levels of lauric acid.
- This particular brand of coconut oil is certified by USDA as extra virgin organic oil.
- It does not need any special storage equipments hence can be stored at normal temperature. However this oil tends to melt at a temperature of 76 degrees.
- Mostly used for cooking, baking, massaging and even as a substitute for butter.
Nutiva extra virgin coconut oil, a hundred percent organic product available in 29 and 54-ounce containers, a certified variant of Nutiva called certified organic extra virgin coconut oil available in tubs of 8 pounds or 1 gallon, are some of the other best selling products offered by this brand.
Amazon Price: $39.95 $29.96 Buy Now
(price as of May 18, 2013)
Barlean's organic extra virgin coconut brands
Credit: Amazon.com This is another top selling brand available at Amazon. Rich in medium chain triglycerides, this oil is known to enhance metabolism thereby generating instant energy required for the body.
- Barlean’s stands for minimum processed, unrefined, non deodorized oil.
- USDA certified.
- 100% organic and island fresh brands.
- This oil is mostly used by athletes as it has powerful energy producing properties.
- Supports immune system and nourishes skin and hair.
- Desired results can be achieved if consumed on a regular basis.
- It can be used to replace butter or other oil that is used in cooking and baking.
- Rich flavor and aroma.
- Cold pressed oil is highly solvent in nature and free from added chemicals.
- Regular use of this coconut oil in our diet is sure to accelerate weight loss, improve heart and skin health.
Due to the health benefits associated with its use, this brand has gained immense popularity among users. The other products that we can consider purchasing under this brand are Barlean’s organic oils-the essential women 12 ounces and Barlean’s organic oils essential women 120 count bottle.