I am convinced that comic book movies are the big money makers now. Of course the important thing is that fans care enough about a character to go to the movie theater and watch a two-hour flick. There are some characters that come from the pages of comic books which fans really would not be that interested in watching. A lot of them would still watch a “Cannonball” movie, but it is not something they are salivating over. We asked over a hundred comic book fans visiting the local comic book store which superhero movie they would most like to see and here are the answers they gave us (so listen up movie studios).
Deadpool is one of the comic book characters that real fans want to see and which the public could get to love. The 4th wall breaking “Merc with a Mouth” is one of the most loved comic book characters because he is funny and mental. That is a great combination for any character in a movie. The character needs to be done right and there is a script already done with Ryan Reynolds as the title character. He is not a bad choice for a Deadpool movie, but the studio has to make the movie right.
The character appeared in the Wolverine movie, but it was a complete disaster, so they probably need to ignore what happened in that movie and start fresh. One of the best things about Deadpool is his gift of gab and yet in the movie Wolverine they sealed his mouth (not to mention all the powers he had in the movie which he is not known for. Let Deadpool be himself and the movie will be a complete success.
The flash is one of the DC characters that fans absolutely love, but that does not get much love from the people putting movies together. He is the fastest man alive and the Barry Allen version should have his own movie. Many people think that Bruce Wayne is DC’s version of Tony Stark, but in reality that title goes to Barry Allen as the Flash. Allen is not the Billionaire that Bruce Wayne is, but he is smart and funny. He is also the reason (and explanation) why other people who have been or eventually become “The Flash” even exist. If there is ever going to be a Justice League movie, then the Flash needs to make his début first.
The Black Panther
The Black Panther is another movie that has had plenty of talk, but to date nothing has happened. The Black Panther is a big member of the Avengers, so if Marvel Studios is going to introduce him, then they have to do so soon. He is the king of his own country with a very interesting back story in a land that is a Mix between the past and today. They also have the large vibranium mine. The metal is already in the movies in the shape of Captain America’s shield and in the comics some of Hawkeye’s arrows are actually made of the same material. You also need to introduce Wakanda to the Marvel Universe so that it can expand for a big finale in Avengers 3.
The studios have been a little hesitant about female leads in comic book movies especially after the fiasco that was the Catwoman movie, but it is not that girls are not cool enough to have their own movie, the script that they have been given has been really bad. There are several reasons why a Wonder Woman movie makes sense. Fist she is by far the most famous female superhero ever. Second, there are a lot of story lines that can get Diana in one of the best movies based on comic books; and finally, you need to have people care about the character if the Justice League movie is going to come out. Wonder Woman should get her own movie not because she is just a girl, but because she is one of the best superheroes ever created.
Doctor Strange is a movie that is now almost a sure thing, and it was about time. The good doctor will expand the Marvel Cinematic Universe more than any other single character can. He brings in magic to the movies and though some would say that Thor already does that, Dr. Strange does so in a much different way. Strange brings mysticism and a fight against dark magic from realms that Thor does not really know that well. Dr. Strange also brings the possibility of fighting against monsters from other realms which in a big screen is an amazing thing to watch. Marvel is putting a lot of stock in the movies led by the master of mysticism, so much so that they are talking about him becoming the new flagship character.
Other Interesting Characters
- The Runaways: The Runaways are teenagers that escape their homes when they realize that their parents are super villains. There is so much to see with the group and so many angles to attack the script that a movie based on the Runaways should become a reality.
- Red Sonja: Red Sonja does have her own comic book and fans have been anxious to see her in the big screen again with a script that can make Conan the Barbarian seem like a kitten with a bad attitude. She has been in movies before, but nothing that does the character justice.
- Gambit: Gambit has a great story of redemption, especially if you include the Morlock massacre of which he is partly responsible for. The relationship between Gambit and Rogue can also be shown and it will bring both guys and girls into the movie theaters.
- Animal Man: Comic book fans used to laugh about the idea of an Animal Man based movie. For a while they had a lot to laugh about, but today the character has evolved into something that fans will want to see.
- Luke Cage and Iron Fist: If marvel Studios will work on the New Avengers, once the Avengers phase three is over, then they will need to get started with the roster pretty soon. Luke Cage and Iron Fist are perfect to get the ball rolling and the Heroes-for-Hire angle is very promising for the big screen.