Many people take driving for granted; I know this sounds a bit odd, but it's true. Drivers today often do not concentrate on driving because they see it as an easy thing to do. Some motorists even consider it as a skill entirely performed with reflexes and instincts.
Actually, driving is something more than just that â it requires the mind and the five senses for it to be done perfectly. When a driver does something aside from driving, it is considered distracted driving. If you are a driver, you may not be aware of these actions, but you actually do them. Here are some common driving distractions for motorists today:
- Cell phone use â Whether you are texting or calling someone, using the cell phone is dangerous for drivers. In fact, some states have already enforced traffic laws prohibiting people to use their cell phones while driving.
- Applying makeup â We understand that some people cannot always manage to go to washrooms to apply makeup, but it is unforgivable to do it while driving. If they do not want to get into an accident, they should just wait until they reach their destination before they put on makeup.
- Eating â This is why drive-thru services are not so good for drivers. After purchasing a meal, can a driver resist not to eat that yummy and savory hamburger? In most cases, the answer is no.
- Reaching for something in the car â This situation is often caused by the ultimate distraction for drivers â cell phones. When a mobile phone falls somewhere, drivers cannot help but look for them instantly, even if these things might cost their lives.
- Reading â Reading is good for you, but not when you are behind the wheel. That is why it is also important to know your route if you do not know where you are going. The best time to do this is before leaving.
These are some of the most common actions that drivers do when they are driving. The interesting part is that many drivers do not even think of these actions as dangerous. Even if you are a relatively skilled or experienced driver, you should not take these issues for granted. What an accident needs is just a split-second of inattentive driving and you're toast.
If ever you encountered an accident because of a driving mistake, it is still not too late. First, you should seek the legal expertise of a Los Angeles accident attorney to help you recover from your damages. If you succeed, then you can start becoming a safe, responsible and attentive driver.