In a construction site, every employee should perform his tasks properly and responsibly to avoid construction accidents and injuries. Statistics show that most construction accidents are caused by defective scaffolds, slippery areas, and negligence in operating forklifts. If a construction site employer or administrator wants to prevent such situations, he should take the necessary actions immediately.
The following are some of the things that he should do:
- Make and enforce safety policies in the workplace.
- Require machine operators to undergo specialized trainings.
- Impose a "hard-hat" rule for everyone in the construction site.
- Conduct regular checkups of employees and their tasks.
- Ask employees to check construction machinery every once in a while.
Like employers, construction employees also have the responsibility to prevent accidents in the workplace. If we think about it, it is the workers who become negligent and commit mistakes, resulting to accidents. For construction workers, here are some of the steps you need to take:
- Follow safety guidelines and observe accident-prevention measures at work.
- Avoid chatting too much with co-employees.
- Always consider the safety of other people.
- Return dangerous tools and devices to their proper places.
- Be extra careful in handling explosives and dangerous materials.
If an employee is injured in the workplace, the employer would be liable to pay worker's compensation benefits. Aside from that, he would also be prohibited from firing the injured worker. If the company owner refuses to pay, the employee has the right to file a worker's compensation claim. He can seek the assistance of an employment law attorney in Los Angeles to have better chances of receiving benefits. Some of the benefits he can receive include:
- Medical expenses (medication and therapy costs) â The employer would be required to pay for his employee's hospital and medical costs.
- Worker's compensation benefits â This kind of benefits is given to employees who are injured while at work.
- Lost wages â If the worker is unable to work for a certain period of time, he may still get a percentage of his wages.
Construction accidents are unfortunate situations caused mostly by human error. In order to avoid these situations, employers and employees should work together in enforcing safety rules and regulations at work.
For more information regarding construction safety, an employer or worker can consult an experienced Los Angeles Employment Attorney. He would certainly be of great help to reduce or totally prevent the number of accidents in a construction company.