Whenever I travel, I like to use Hotwire to find the best deals on 4 and 5-star hotel rooms. I have been keeping a list of what I like most about these luxury hotel rooms and provide the following guide for turning your own bedroom into a 5-star suite. In developing this list, I am drawing heavily on the bedroom of the W hotel at Times Square in New York, the technology of the Aria in Las Vegas, and the en suite of the Ritz Carleton in Hong Kong. The best part of following this guide is that you will not need to steal the bathrobe upon checkout!
- Walls - The paint is a neutral taupe. In the picture above, the HEX code is A8A385. The cost of 2 cans of paint plus all supplies (brushes, tape, paint rollers, etc) is around $200.
- Carpeting - Hotel carpeting is not the most comfortable. The W Hotel uses Atlas Carpet Mills for their carpet tile. I would go with a wood floor or something a little thicker than what is pictured above. Suitable flooring can be bought and installed for under $6/foot, so if your bedroom is 400 sq ft, you could spend up to $2,400.
- Television - The flatscreen television is anchored directly to the wall. Estimated cost is $1,000.
- Books on the Wall - include Vintage Cocktails by Laziz Hamani and Brian Van Flandern ($30) and The Allure of Beauty: Women in Hollywood by Karen Durbin ($37).
- The remaining items (window shades, lighting, shelving, cabinets, other furniture) are subject to your taste and the layout of your bedroom. Estimated cost ranges between $500 and $3,000. For further decorating tips, see How to Feng Shui your Bedroom.
The king-sized bed at the W Hotel is the reason why I love this room. The bed is by far the most comfortable I have ever slept in. I imagine it is how sleeping in a cocoon would feel. Although I couldn't pack any of this into my suitcase, I found the following available online (prices as of January 4, 2013) at Amazon under the "Westin at Home" collection. Westin and the W Hotel are owned by the same chain. Considering that people spend up to one-third of their lives in bed, spending money on a good mattress is a worthwhile investment.
|Heavenly Mattress and Box Spring - King Size||1,895|
|Duvet - King Size||160|
|Sheets - 300 count 100% Egyptian Cotton Striped sheets plus fitted sheet||300|
|Pillows (4 @ $90)||360|
|Pillow Cases (4 @ $80)||320|
The Total Cost for the Bedroom is between $7,500 and $10,000.
The thing I liked most about the en suite at the Ritz Carlton in Hong Kong was the water pressure from the shower. With several hotels moving toward low-flow shower heads, this was like standing in front of a fire hose. When I got home, I scoured the internet and was pleased to have found the same brand as that used in Hong Kong.
Bathroom renovations can be expensive, but you don't need to do a major overhaul to recapture the feel of a 5-star hotel. Here are some suggestions for your en suite:
- Shower Head - Speakman S-2251 Anystream Icon 8-Jet. Cost $100
- Plush Bath Robe - available at the RitzCarltonShops.com (link shown in the bibliography at the end of this article). Cost $130 each
- Towels - ridiculously thick and absorbent towels are a must. Plush bath sheets (which are larger than bath towels) from the aforementioned shop are $45 each.
- Toiletries - A travel kit complete with shampoo and conditioner from the Ritz Carlton's stock can be purchased for $49.
- Slippers - $12 per pair
Total Cost of Bathroom: $500
Amazon Price: $229.00 $135.05 Buy Now
(price as of Apr 28, 2016)
More and more, iPads are being used to power various household appliances. At the Aria Hotel in Las Vegas, the iPad is used to adjust the blinds, the lights, the temperature and control the TV. To replicate this at home, you will need an iPhone or iPad (cost $500), a free app from Control4 and the Control4 system (starter kit is under $1,000).
Total Cost for Technology - $1,500
The total cost for all of the items listed above is between $9,000 and $12,000. The really great part is that this can be done in stages - perhaps start with the bathroom or buy yourself a great bed. As time and money permits, you can move closer to turning your bedroom into a 5-star luxury suite.
I would love to hear any suggestions or product reviews that you might have. Please feel free to drop me a comment in the boxes below.