Lactose Free Foods Part 1
Gluten-free, Soy-free Vegan Cream Cheese Recipes
A reader asked me recently to make a recipe for soy-free and gluten-free and lactose free foods that are creamy and spreadable like dips and cream cheese. I know that some people are also vegan or are sensitive to eggs, so I thought that I would take it a step further and make a couple of recipes that were gluten-free, soy-free, and vegan (GFCF, SF vegan ;).
Obviously things are a bit more difficult if you cannot use eggs, cream, buttermilk, etc, in the recipes. I have come up with some recommendations for you, although you should also keep in mind that it is getting easier and easier to shop and create recipes, even if you suffer from severe food intolerance. More and more specialty products come onto the market every day. So feel free to use dairy and egg replacers and see how they work. I rarely so, though.
The key ingredients and ideas I used for the two gluten-free vegan soy-free recipes I will be talking about today are cashews, avocados, and hemp milk. All of these have a fairly unimposing flavour but can add some creaminess to your restricted diet if you are creating a special recipe from scratch. Another ingredient I use constantly is coconut milk (not coconut water). If you are looking for the creamiest lactose free foods, regular canned coconut milk has to be right at the top. I even make GFCF and soy-free ice cream with it. You can even pour out the coconut water and use it for a morning smoothie with frozen fruit.
Soy-free Vegan cream Cheese Recipe 1
- A cup of raw unsalted large cashews
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of tapioca flour or potato starch if you have to.
- 3 tablespoons of hemp milk (or substitute coconut milk)
- 1/4 tsp of xanthum gum or guar gum
- A pinch of sea salt
- 1 tsp of GF apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp of lemon or lime juice
- QUICK: Use a food processor that will make a very UNGRAINY cashew paste
Soak the cashews overnight, then.
- ADD cashews with hemp milk and oil then BLEND smooth.
- ADD the other ingredients BLEND completely.
- Chill for a few hours.
What if I am nut-free, too?
Soy Free Vegan Cream Cheese Recipe 2:
Use the above ingredients but substitute ripe avocados and add some sundried tomatoes! Use a blender or food processor and you should have a very quick vegan cream cheese and a hit for anyone who needs lactose free foods that are also soy-free!
Here are a rundown of useful vegan, soy-free, nut-free, lactose-free, casein-free, and gluten-free ingredients to make superstar creamy dips, dressings, and spreads (haha that’s a new record for me, I think --GFLFCFSFNFV )
- Avocados: this is an essential creamy ingredient that is very mild tasting and won’t overpower the rest of the recipe
- Hemp milk: under used and my favourite soy-free, nut-free, dairy-free drink
- Coconut milk and coconut butter/oil: Put your cans in the fridge and you will see a beautiful creamy layer on top. This is my favourite ingredient overall!
- Corn starch: the old standby used in gravy as a thickener can sometimes do double duty