Typically, during the week, I'm headed surfing, mountainbiking, or to some other activity after work. Because of this, I'll prep meals on the weekend and crush them before leaving the office.
Here's an easy recipe that actually turned out pretty tasty. As a frame of reference, historically, a lot of my meals involve a grill named after a two time heavyweight boxer. Hopefully that sheds some insight on the level of difficulty here.
You'll need the following (or something similar)Credit: C. Rodriguez 2014
- Chicken Thighs (1-2 lbs)
- Chicken Breasts (1-2 lbs)
- Your favorite BBQ sauce (and/or what is on sale) 10-12 oz
- Italian dressing (~1/2 cup)
Note that many people have a preference for chicken breasts over chicken thighs. Thighs, especially if the skin isn't removed, has a higher fat content. As an general rule, chicken breasts have around 7 grams of fat while thighs have around 13 grams (10% daily value vs 20% for most people). Both thighs and breasts are great sources of protein. I put thighs and breasts in this dish as I like them both.
Here's the very challenging way to make this beauty.
- Open chicken, remove skin from thighs (if desired) and rinse off.
- Place all 4 items in the crock pot / slow cooker
- Put the lid on and set it to low for 8 hours (I did this at night, and woke up, ready for a feast. Alternatively, you could do this in the morning before leaving for work and feast upon your return)
- Remove chicken and eat as is, or shred by hand for sandwiches ( I toasted some buns and garnished with some spinach, brussel sprouts, Trader Joe's organic baked cheese puffs, yogurt, and a banana. Friends say I eat a lot)
If you don't eat this all in one sitting (you probably shouldn't as it is a lot of food), you can store some meals for the week. I also use this with some rice and veggies in place of a sandwich.
One tip when reheating meat in the microwave, is to put a cup of water inside the microwave oven as well. As the food heats, this water will ensure everything stays moist and delicious.
Let me know if you like this, or have your own spin that is even better. I think other proteins such as beef and pork would be tasty also.