Hot Oil Treatments are a perfect remedy for hair that has been damaged due to chemical processes ( relaxers, bleach or highlighting jobs, dyeing), frequent straightening (with blow dryers, curling irons, etc) and environmental factors. This effective treatment works to hydrate and strengthen your hair which restores it from a brittle and dry disaster to a healthy and smooth state that is easy for you to manage. And, the best part of it all, this treatment is completely safe regardless of your hair's condition and easy to obtain with products that you can find in your kitchen cupboards right this instant! Let's begin!
What You Will Need
- Olive Oil, Grape Seed Oil, Coconut Oil, Argan Oil, Jojoba Oil... these can be, but are not limited to, the number of oils that you can use for this treatment. You can use one, two, or even all the oils listed above.
- Honey is optional. It works as an additional moisturizer and is packed with a number of vitamins and minerals that your hair will love.
- Spray Bottle and Long Tail Brush (Optional )
- If you do not have a spray bottle or brush, you can use your fingers.
- Glass Bowl
- Or any other type of microwave safe bowl.
- Only if you prefer to heat your oils over a stove top instead of using a microwave.
- Shower Cap or Towel
Before we start:
- Section your hair into four equal parts to make sure that your hair receives full coverage.
- Place a towel around your neck area. Oil can be very messy!
Step 1. Make The Treatment
Mix oil(s) and honey into a microwave safe bowl and place in the microwave for 15-30 seconds. We only want the mixture to be warm to the touch, not scalding hot. If you are mixing a number of different oils as well as honey together, check your mixture every few seconds and stir it to prevent it from separating.
* If you do not wish to use a microwave, you can heat the oil in a saucepan over the stove.
Step 2. Apply
Once your oil has achieved a desired temperature, it's finally time to apply it to your hair! If you have a brush, simply dip it into your bowl and completely coat your hair with the treatment. If you are using your hands, massaging the mixture into your hair works perfectly fine. Remember, be gentle with your hair. Try not to tug or rub your hair harshly as this can cause damage. Comb through your hair with a wide toothed comb to ensure even coverage.
Step 3. Cover
Once your hair is fully coated with oil, place your shower cap or towel over your hair, making sure that every strand is completely covered.
Step 4. Wait and Let Those Oils Work Their Magic
Now the waiting process begins! I usually leave the mixture in my hair for one hour, some people opt for leaving it on for thirty minutes or less. This decision is completely up to you, as you are the only one who can fully evaluate the amount of damage your hair has undergone.
Step 5. Rinse and Wash
After your desired amount of time has passed, simply rinse and wash your hair preferably with a gentle shampoo. Dry and style your hair as normal. I would recommend that if you often use hot styling products to reduce their use to an average of once a week. If you cannot, please remember to use a good quality heat protecting spray.
Step 6. Show It Off!
Head out into the public and show off your lovely, healthy hair!
Hot oil treatments have worked wonders for my hair. I am a victim of relaxers, dye jobs and bleach jobs and practicing this treatment twice a month has saved my hair from ending up in large clumps on my bathroom floor! This treatment is completely safe and extremely beneficial. What have you got to lose?