Motorbikes are vehicles that give its riders fun and thrill. But with that experience comes danger, as riders of motorbikes are more prone to accidents that may lead to injuries that range from mild to serious. Motorbike accidents not only result in physical injuries, but emotional distress as well. It may even result in death.
Motorbike accidents are caused by many factors and awareness of these causes is essential in order to avoid experiencing one. Some of the causes are listed below:
- Limited visibility of the motorbike rider and other drivers on the roadway
- Weather conditions (such as heavy rain, snow, etc.)
- Failure of the rider to slow down when approaching a curb
- Unforeseen road hazards
- Defects or malfunctioning of motorbikes (such as leaks in the fuel system)
However, no matter how careful a motorbike rider is, he/she may possibly still be involved in an accident because of the careless act of other drivers. Because of that, it is essential for riders to wear protective gears especially in the head, such as a helmet, so that injuries that will be sustained may be reduced.
In an event where an accident occurred, there are some things one should do first if he/she is capable of doing so. The following are what one must do if involved in a motorbike accident:
- Call the police immediately
- Gather information from witnesses about what happened in the accident
- Do not leave the scene of the accident
- Immediately seek medical attention
- File a complete and detailed police report
- Determine the names, contact information, other personal and insurance details of those involved in the accident, including the license number of the other driver(s)
These tips are very important to help your claim succeed if you decide to take legal action. Evidences gathered will be used in the process and may play a vital role in proving whose fault was the accident and who will be liable for the damages.
If you have been involved in such motorbike accidents, you may be entitled to file a claim and receive compensation for the damages incurred. Compensations may include the following:
- Hospital bills and other medical expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Lost wages (including future wages)
- Rehabilitation expenses
Motorbike accidents are very common nowadays, it may happen anywhere where motorbikes exist. So it is important to always be careful and be ready for whatever incident may occur.
If you have been involved in motorbike accidents, whether you think you are the one at fault or not, it is important to seek legal assistance first from personal injury lawyers who are skillful in dealing with such cases. They will help you obtain just compensation for the damages sustained.