George Romero’s Dawn of the Dead is considered his best picture of the series with zombie fans everywhere constantly repeating memorable snippets of dialogue. He took this sub-genre of horror films and turned it on its ear and thanks to him; horror movie fans have enjoyed the results for decades. If you’re not able to watch the film, then perhaps this article of memorable quotations will satiate your desire for the dead… for the moment.
David Crawford – Dr. James Foster
David Emge – Stephen
Gaylen Ross – Francine/Fran
James A. Baffico – Wooley
Jim Edemensen - Cameraman
Ken Foree – Peter
Richard France – Dr. Millard Rausch
Scott H. Reiniger – Roger
Tom Savini – Blades/Biker
Famous Movie Quotes from Dawn of the Dead (1978)
Dr. James Foster
• You're not running a talk show here, Mr. Berman! You can forget pitching an audience the moral bullsh*t they want to hear!
• Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills! The people it kills get up and kill!
• It is the order of the O.P.P. by command of the federal government, the President of the United States… citizens may no longer occupy private residences no matter how safely protected or well stocked.
Dr. Millard Rausch
• Dummies! Dummies! Dummies!
• The normal question, the first question is always; are these cannibals? No, they are not cannibals. Cannibalism in the true sense of the word implies an interspecies activity. These creatures cannot be considered human. They prey on humans. They do not prey on each other, that's the difference. They attack and they feed only on warm human flesh. Intelligence? Seemingly little or no reasoning power, but basic skills remain… more remembered behaviors from normal life. There are reports of these creatures using tools. But even these actions are the most primitive, the use of external articles as bludgeons and so forth. I might point out to you that even animals will adopt the basic use of tools in this manner. These creatures are nothing but pure, motorized instinct. We must not be lulled by the concept that these are our family members or our friends. They are not. They will not respond to such emotions.
• I've seen half-a-dozen guys in my unit get bitten by those things. None of them lasted more than... three days.
• When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth.
• This place is gonna be rotten. We gotta clean it up, brother.
• Wooley's gone apesh*t, man!
• Jesus. It’s everywhere.
• (talking to Peter) Man, there’s a lot of people that are running now. I could run. I could run right tonight. Friend of mine’s got this helicopter. He asked me to come with him. I think its right to run.
• We've got to survive! Somebody's got to survive!
• Hello, HQ, this is Police Dock. Operator dead, post abandoned.
• We're still pretty close to Johnstown. Those rednecks are probably enjoying the whole thing.
• You should see all the great stuff we got Frannie. All kinds of stuff. This place is terrific, it really is, it’s perfect. All kinds of things. We’ve really got it made here, Fran.
Other Miscellaneous Quotes
• Camera Man: Go ahead and leave. We'll be off the air by midnight, anyway. The emergency networks are taking over. Our responsibility is finished.
• Old Priest: Many have died, last week, on these streets. In the basement of this building, you will find them. I have given them the last rites, now, you do what you will. You are stronger than us... But soon, I think they be stronger than you. When the dead walk, señores, we must stop the killing... or lose the war.
• Blades: (to Peter) I see you, chocolate man!
Dialogue from the Film
1- TV Director: Roll the rescue stations.
Producer: We just got a report that half those stations have been knocked out.
Director: Then get me another list.
Producer: Sure, I'll just pull it out of my ass, right?
2- Stephen: We've got to find more fuel. Maybe closer to Cleveland.
Roger: No. We've got to stay out of the big cities. If they're anything like Philly, we may never get out alive.
Peter: We may never get out of anyplace alive. We almost didn't get out of here.
Roger: We're getting out of here fine. As long as there's not too many of those things around, we can handle them easy.
Peter: Yeah, well it wasn't one of those things that nearly blew me away.
Roger: We gotta stay in the sticks! There's bound to be more of those little private airports upstate.
Stephen: There's the locks along the Allegheny. There's several fuel pumping stations there, state and private owned.
Roger: No, those are probably still manned. We don't need those hassles either.
Stephen: They're just out after scavengers and looters.
Peter: Oh, you got papers for this limousine?
Stephen: I've got GON I.D., and so does Fran.
Peter: Right, and we're up here doing traffic reports! Wake up, sucker! We're thieves and we're bad guys. That's exactly what we are. We gotta find our own way.
3- Roger: You'll take care of me when I go, won't you, Peter?
Peter: Rest, man. Save your strength.
Roger: I don't want to be walkin' around... like THAT!... Peter... PETER?
Peter: I'm here, man!
Roger: Don't do it until you are sure I am coming back! I'm gonna try... not to... I'm gonna try... not to... come back. I'm gonna try... not to...
4- (last lines) (Peter and Francine leaving the mall in the helicopter)
Peter: How much fuel do we have?
Fran: Not much.
Peter: All right.
5- (Peter handling an expensive rifle)
Peter: Ain’t it a crime?
Peter: The only person who could miss with this gun is the sucker with the bread to buy it.
6- (looking at the dump room for those that died)
Roger: Why did they keep them here?
Peter: ‘Cause they still believe there’s respect in dying.
7- Fran: Rescue stations?
Charlie: Half of those are inoperative as of now.
Fran: Charlie, these are rescue stations. We can’t send people to inoperative rescue stations.
Charlie: We’ve had old information on the air for the last twelve hours.
8- Peter: All right. Let’s go brother, the old Okie Doke.
Roger: OK. (they both begin pounding on a door to get the zombie’s attention)
Roger: Hey, hey uglies!
Peter: Hey, straights from hell! Hey! Hey! Hey! Come here chump! Come here!
9- Roger: You better get some sleep too, buddy.
Peter: There’s an awful lot of stuff down there we could use.
Roger: I know it.
Peter: It’s a big place, but they’re pretty spread out down there. I think we can outrun them.
Roger: Hit and run?
Peter: Hit and run.
10- (after avoiding being eaten alive)
Roger: Well, we’re in, but how the hell are we gonna get back?
Peter: Who the hell cares! Let’s go shopping!
Roger: Watches! Watches!
Peter: Wait a minute man; let’s just get the stuff we need. I’ll get a television and a radio.
Roger: Oooh, oooh, lighter fluid! And chocolate, chocolate.
11- Roger: Hey, man, we can’t carry all this sh*t.
(Peter wheels up a gardening cart full of supplies)
Roger: Oh, I see, we’re just gonna wheel right by ‘em, right?
Peter: We’re gonna try, brother. We ain’t doin’ this for the exercise, so we might as well try to get what we can.
Roger: No way this is gonna happen.
12- Roger: Peter, where are you?
Peter: Right here, trooper.
Roger: We did it, didn’t we? We whipped ‘em didn’t we?
Peter: That’s right, Rodge.
Roger: Didn’t we? Didn’t we whip ‘em?
Peter: Sure did buddy. We whipped ‘em. We whipped ‘em good.
Roger: We whipped ‘em and we got it ALL!
13- Peter: Somebody better sit watch all the time.
Roger: They’ll never get through there.
Peter: Enough of them will. And it’s not just those things we have to worry about. That chopper up there could give us away if somebody comes messin’ around.
Roger: And what are they gonna do? Land another pilot to fly it out? They’re not gonna mess with a little bird like that, they’ve got enough on their hands.
14- Fran: Spam!
Roger: You bring a can opener?
Fran: No, I guess I didn’t.
Roger: Then don’t knock it; it’s got its own key.
Although horror movies aren’t traditionally known for slipping in interesting viewpoints on society, this film was one of the exceptions. Perhaps that's why many consider it the best zombie film ever made. Isn’t it ironic that in the end our heroes had to worry about the greediness of other humans more than being eaten by the walking dead? Just a little food for thought.