Diet for Healthy Skin
Top List for Healthy Skin
A diet for good skin is essential as all of us expose our skin in varying degrees, depending on the circumstances or the weather. If you are a regular swimmer, for example, then you will show a great deal of skin on entering and leaving the swimming pool.
In the middle of summer or when you are on holiday in a much hotter climate then you may be dressed in shorts and summer vest. You will be showing most of your bare skin so you want it to look good.
Top List of Foo
It is so easy to eat convenience foods or get into bad habits like missing meals. Before you realize your skin is suffering badly. Now is the time to discipline yourself for both now and in the future and select foods that will continue to give you a healthy skin.
One of the cheapest and most effective ways to look after your skin is to drink plenty of water. Eight glasses per day are recommended. Water is an excellent way of hydrating the cells and removing toxins. So if you are contemplating a processed fruit drink, think again and reach for water. It's much cheaper, too.
Green tea is a popular alternative to normal black tea or the vast array of fruit drinks that are available today. Green tea is caffeine free, reduces inflammation and protects the cell membranes. The antioxidant flavonoids in the tea hinder possible cancer-causing substances.
Japanese research showed that an area of a high rate of green tea drinking had lower rates of stomach cancer.
Blueberries contain a high source of antioxidants and strengthen the blood capillaries and improve circulation. This may help to treat problems like broken veins and varicose veins.
Sunflower seeds are far richer in Vita
Turkey is an excellent source of protein and a rich source of zinc, containing over one-third more zinc than chicken. Zinc maintains the collagen that preserves the elasticity of the skin and helps growth and repair. This is important as you get older or you have sustained an injury. A zinc deficiency will lead to poor wound healing, hair loss and problems with the skin.
Carrots contain beta-carotene, a form of Vitamin A which will act as an antioxidant in the body, get rid of toxins and help to protect the skin.
Similarly, sweet potatoes, contain beta-carotene and defend against sun damage.
Kiwi fruit is an excellent source of Vitamin C. A single fruit supplies more than the normal daily requirement of Vitamin C, which is essential for wound healing.
Of course, the above list is not definitive but the above foods will help maintain a healthy skin. However, what if you have a particular skin complaint? Here are some foods and recipe ideas for the distressing skin complaints like psoriasis and eczema.
Ideas for Healing Foods for Skin Complaints
Psoriasis is a distressing and uncomfortable skin complaint. It is caused by skin cells reproducing too fast and can be linked to arthritis. It is difficult to treat but some success has been made by sufferers eating oily fish.
There is a view that the problem of psoriasis may be a result of poor digestion and so garlic, pineapple, ginger, watercress and artichokes may help.
Here's a recipe including sardines that will help heal the skin.
Lemon Sardine Pate
- 2 x 120gm [oz] sardines in oil
- 225gm [8oz] low-fat natural fromage frais or soft cheese
- juice of 2 lemons
- freshly ground black pepper
- Drain the sardines thoroughly. Reserve the oil for use in a salad dressing. Use within a few days
- Mash the fish well with a fork
- Then mix in the fromage frais or soft cheese
- Add the lemon juice and black pepper to taste
- Chill until ready to serve
Serve with toast.
Kippers or smoked mackerel can be substituted for the sardines.
Using grilled salmon and a teriyaki sauce is ideal for psoriasis sufferers.
- 600gm [1lb 5oz] salmon
- oil to coat a skillet
For the sauce
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons sake
- Cut the fish into thick pieces
- Lightly brush an iron skillet with the oil and heat under a hot grill or over a high heat but not smoking
- Add the fish and grill or fry until cooked through and crisp on both sides
- In a bowl, mix the soy sauce with the brown sugar. Pour the sake [if used] over the fish and light it with a match. After the flames die away, turn up the heat and brush the pieces on both sides with the soy sauce mixture. You can leave out the sake if you prefer.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes more until the sauce becomes sticky.
- Place the fish on a warmed plate, pour over the remaining sauce, and serve.
You can use other fish like mackerel, swordfish or trout or turkey breast.
Eczema is often hard to treat and perhaps a family tendency to develop allergic reactions.
Helpful foods include shellfish, a good source of zinc, sunflower seeds, linseed, freshly ground blackcurrants and oily fish.
A General Wound Healing Recipe
Eating a little chocolate, especially dark chocolate, is not unhealthy. In this recipe the cool pineapple will harden the chocolate sauce.
- Small pineapple
- 100 gm [3 1/oz] good quality chocolate, broken into square
- 2 tablespoons single cream
- 2 teaspoons rum or brandy [ this is optional]
- 2-3 tablespoons low-fat milk
- Peel and cut pineapple into small chunks.
- Wrap and chill
- Fit a small heatproof bowl on top of a pan of simmering water and add all the ingredients except 1 tablespoon of milk.
- Continue to stir as the mixture heats gently so that you have a very smooth chocolate sauce.
- Add the remaining milk if needed to give a thicker mixture but don't overheat.
- Divide the sauce between 4 warmed egg cups
- Place an egg cup of chocolate sauce on 4 plates alongside the shared out chunks of chilled pineapple.
- Provide a fork to dip the pineapple chunks into the sauce.
- Serve and enjoy.
It is important to maintain a good diet from an early age for an all-round active life. These foods will help both those with distressing skin complaints and everyone who places importance on diet for good skin.