Every insurance company has the insurance options you need. As an experienced certified driver leased to a carrier, the insurer probably provides the majority of your liability insurance coverage. It is always advisable to have special non liability and physical damage liability insurance when you are the owner and the driver The following are the main types that you might want to know: Bobtail Insurance aka Non Trucking Liability (NTL) This is a type of coverage available to leased operators who operate under a motor carriers' authority. NTL provides liability coverage when the truck is being used for purposes outside the scope of the lease like truck working on weekends to run errands. Bobtail liability is a business auto policy with the Truckers, in short it is Insurance for Non-Trucking Use. This is useful when you lease third party Though Bobtail insurance and NTL are used interchangeably very often, they are not always the same. Bobtail insurance typically protects the tractor when it's being operated without a trailer, regardless of whether or not it's under dispatch. Non-Trucking Liability, however, protects the tractor when it's being operated off dispatch, regardless of whether or not it's pulling a trailer. Primary Liability Insurance Every trucker or trucking company who operates under their own authority is required to carry primary liability coverage on all owned units and either provide this insurance for their leased vehicles or insure that the leased operator carries it on their own. Generally, the motor carrier provides this coverage for the leased operators. Leased Operator Insurance As an owner operator, your insurance needs are complex. You need to protect your livelihood and your equipment; and if you are leased onto a motor carrier, your coverage need will be determined under the lease agreement. While some employers may offer to provide this insurance coverage, you can often get a better deal by purchasing them yourself. Plus, you'll be able to make choices to customize your policy to your needs and know exactly how much protection you're getting. Cargo Insurance Cargo Insurance provides coverage for loss or damage to the property a truck is transporting. This type of coverage is generally, though not always, is provided by the motor carrier for leased operators. Motor carriers purchase insurance in case of a loss for the transportation of truck cargo that's been transferred into their care, custody and control. The limits for motor truck cargo insurance are determined by the type and value of the freight that's transported, and should be tailored to your specific trucking operation by an expert in the field of trucking insurance. This type of policy should be carefully considered prior to purchase; under-insuring the cargo can negatively impact a trucking operation in the event of a major loss. The responsibility of the transporter and the value of the load should be established and mutually agreed upon prior to shipping. The U.S. Department of Transportation Code 49 USC 1390 states that drivers operating within federal jurisdiction has to show proof of cargo insurance with a minimum of $5,000 for damage or loss of contents and $10,000 for aggregated damage or loss. Physical Damage Insurance This provides coverage for repair or replacement for damage resulting from a covered loss (collision/rollover, fire, theft, hail, windstorm, earthquake, flood, mischief, or vandalism) to owned vehicles. Physical Damage coverage offers 24 hour protection for your tractor and trailer which includes: Comprehensive (fire or explosion, theft, windstorm, hail, earthquake, flood, vandalism and more) Collision (damage caused by collision with another object) Deductible Options ($500, $1000, $2500) Towing and Storage (limit of $5000 or 10% of equipment value, whichever is greater after a covered loss) GAP coverage This coverage is not required by law but if you finance your vehicle the lien holder will require it. It is important to insure your truck for the real value. Do not over or under value the vehicle as the insurance company will only pay market value at the time of the loss. Occupational Accident Insurance Type of commercial truck insurance designed specifically for owner operators in the trucking industry. Occupational accident insurance covers eligible on-the-job accidents that owner-operators or contract drivers sustain while under dispatch. Occupational Accident Insurance is part of an effective, affordable, reliable solution for motor carriers and truckers alike. In most states, by being self- employed owner operators can opt out of state mandated workers compensation coverage. While not the same as workers compensation, occ/acc is similar in scope and intent. Most motor carriers require their leased operators to be covered either by workers compensation or occ/acc at the leased operators' expense. For those who qualify, occ/acc is generally a lower cost alternative. Occupational accident insurance is customized for motor carriers, owner-operators and contract drivers. Coverage pays benefits for accidental death or dismemberment, accident-related medical expenses and temporary or continuous total disability. Motor carriers can increase coverage to include non-job-related accidents, felonious assault, paralysis, seat belt use, air bag equipped vehicle, severe burns and passenger accidents. Occupational accident insurance is not a substitute for Workers' Compensation coverage. Commercial Auto Liability Insurance A commercial auto liability policy will be required if you drive a commercial auto/truck and transport cargo of others. This policy will provide coverage for bodily injury and property damage to others. The auto could mean a commercial bus, tractor trailer, van or any public vehicle carrying passengers or cargo. Getting commercial auto liability coverage is necessary as it involves dealing with governmental filings.