We can do something proactive on our articles to help speed up this process. You will need to register an account at http://www.digg.com in order to do this.
My favorite way to improve how quickly your article is indexed is social bookmarking, but more specifically the site digg.com.
Digg.com is a social bookmarking site, where the users can submit links and their users vote on whether or not they are good. Pages that get voted on a lot, go to their front page and result in hundreds of thousands of visitors to your page in one day. You have to have a pretty good article and some good networking to get on the front page of Digg but it is possible. Fortunately we don't need to get on the front page to still benefit.
Digg is spidered by Google's robots nearly hourly, so if you Digg one of your articles, usually Google will index your page within 24 hours. What does this mean? It means that your article will show up in the search engine much faster which could result in you getting traffic to your content faster, which means more money in your pocket. You may even get some visitors from Digg coming to checkout your article!
So the moral of the story ladies and gentlemen of infobarrel, is to try and Digg each of your articles after posting it to make sure Google places your content in the search engine faster so you can make more money!
I guess I should probably explain how to Digg a website too?
- Go to Digg.com and login (once you have registered)
- Once logged in, in the top right of the screen you will see 'Submit New' to the left of logout, click this
- Enter the URL of your live Infobarrel article you would like to promote (ex: http://www.infobarrel.com/How_To_Tape_A_Hockey_Stick
- Next click what type of media your content is: News article, video or image
- You will then be asked to fill in a title and a description and to pick a thumbnail. Your title should describe what you are submitting.
- Next scroll down and choose a topic. Make sure you pick the most relevant topic to your content.
- Scroll down to where it says 'Are You Human?' and enter the characters in the captcha (the image with all the characters) and then click submit story
- Digg will ask if what you are submitting is the same as a bunch of other content that has been dugg in the past. Scroll past them all to the bottom and click the button that says 'Totally original, I swear!'
- Tadaa, you are done, if you know other users who have Digg accounts you can ask them to digg your article by sending them the URL of your Digg page. (example: http://digg.com/extreme_sports/How_To_Kickflip_Your_Skateboard)
Since Digg is a social bookmarking site, you can add friends as well. Often times friends will Digg each others content just to help out so you may want to consider adding a bunch of friends!