Login
Password

Forgot your password?

Dogs - Celebrate Easter But Put Away The Chocolate

By Edited May 30, 2016 0 0

With Easter just around the corner, and the possibility of chocolate all around the house, now is the time to come up with some kind of system for putting that chocolate bunny out of harms way of your dog!

I had a dog a few years back that ate everything in sight. One day after Easter, my daughter left a good quality Lindt Solid Chocolate bunny on her bed, still in the plastic wrap and foil.

We went out for the day, and our dog, got into her room, and sat on her bed, and made a meal out of that bunny. Now most dog owners know that chocolate, especially the purer kinds, usually the quality chocolate makers and dark chocolate is toxic to dogs.

Now some dogs seem to be able to eat it without any ill effects, but not my dog. Not only did she break into this bunny, she ate the entire pound of it, including the plastic and foil wrap.

 

Dog First Aid: A Field Guide to Emergency Care for the Outdoor Dog
Amazon Price: $15.00 $8.26 Buy Now
(price as of May 30, 2016)

Seek Medical Attention Right Away

We did not know this right away. When we got home, we saw him standing in the doorway, just trembling, like he had seen a ghost and was really scared. We tried to comfort him, but still not realizing what was wrong, we took him outside for a run, and he collapsed on the front lawn, and kept trying to get up. This time he was frothing at the mouth.

Right about this time, my daughter comes running down the stairs, to say that there was this huge melted chocolate mess on her bed, and that her one pound chocolate bunny was gone. I turned and looked at our dog, and I went to the phone at the same time I was getting out my car keys. I called the vet's office, and they were just closing and the vet was on his way home, but as soon as I told her what was happening, he turned around and came back, and said he would meet us there.

At that point I wasn't sure just how toxic chocolate was to my dog, but when I heard the vet was turning around to come back to the office, I knew we were in trouble.

I got to the office in 10 minutes, and our dog being over 100 pounds, was difficult to get into the office, but we got him there. He was frothing, and covered with melted chocolate, I am sure the vet thought we were horrible dog owners, but he had seen this before, and he got to work right away. They gave him some stuff to throw up what was in his stomach, and after that horrible ordeal, he was put on a intravenous medicine, and a sedative to keep calm, and had to spend the next 2 days and nights in the clinic.

I had always been after the kids to put food away and especially toxic things like chocolate. We learned a big lesson that day. Not only were we terrified for the health and welfare of our beloved dog, but my daughter was crushed, as she felt it was all her fault, and our bank account took a serious hit!

But he bounced back from that ordeal, and now we are very careful about what we leave laying around. We then had to really look at our house, like we were dealing with small children, which for many people, their dogs are just like that. Eating and chewing everything in sight.

So, if you have a dog, then this Easter, or Christmas, or at Birthday's, be very careful where you leave chocolate laying around, it could cost you dearly. You don't want to find out just how badly your dog will react to toxic chocolate

Advertisement
Advertisement

Comments

Add a new comment - No HTML
You must be logged in and verified to post a comment. Please log in or sign up to comment.

Media

Explore InfoBarrel

Auto Business & Money Entertainment Environment Health History Home & Garden InfoBarrel University Lifestyle Sports Technology Travel & Places
© Copyright 2008 - 2016 by Hinzie Media Inc. Terms of Service Privacy Policy XML Sitemap

Follow IB Lifestyle