Catering is a great way to earn a few hundred dollars in a short amount of time.
Skills Required to Work as A Banquet Server:
- Friendly attitude
- Communication skills
- Ability to work on a team
- Some serving experience
- Ability to stand on your feet for an extended periods of time
Benefits of Serving at Special Events:
- The hours are nights and weekends, usually, so it won't interfere with a day job.
- You can work as much as you want (to a certain extent - if you never work, you'll likely be dropped).
- You are usually working weddings, which means people are generally in good spirits and wanting to celebrate.
- You can earn substantial tips
Typical Duties and Responsibilities of Catering Staff:
- Set up and Clean UP-Taking orders
- Serving meals
- Refilling Drinks
- Bussing tables
- Serving alcohol (may have an age requirement)
- Assisting in transition a room from eating to dancing
Drawbacks of Being a Banquet Server:
- You will be on your feet a lot.
- You have to wear formal apparel, which might stink if you are working outside on a hot day.
- You will likely be required to have one year of serving experience before you can get started
- You may run into very demanding clients
- Not much time for breaks
- You may end up working very late (into the early hours of the morning)
Other Things to Think About Before Working as a Wedding Waiter
- Your appearance matters. If you have lots of tattoos or piercings, you might not get hired. You will be required to keep your uniform pressed.
- You will be working with a team. Part of any gratuity will likely be split with your team members and the overall level size of the tip will depend on how well your team does as w hole. being able to keep everyone working together, on time, and friendly is a good skill. If you can motivate others, and enjoy working on a team, this may very well be a job for you.
Other Types of Event You Could Work:
- Weddings - by far the most common event
- Banquets - think award ceremonies, receptions for companies and nonprofits, galas and more
- Bat mitzvahs-and other religious celebrations
- Quincianeros- and possibly other extreme birthday parties
- Dances and balls - proms included!
Types of Companies that Hire Servers:
- Wedding Planners
- Sports Stadiums
Other Jobs To Consider:
If working weekends/weddings appeals to you, but you don't want to serve, consider the following occupations:
- Freelance Wedding Photographer
- Wedding Caterer
- Cake Decorator/Baker