This is the basic recipe for all cupcakes (Vanilla cupcake)
Cupcakes are so famous but there are some amongst us who have not tried to make it at home. For all these people all that I will say is, there is no harm in trying and why not try the most basic as you will hopefully not go wrong; evenif you are someone whi doesnt know to hold a beater properly. My mouth had already started to react to this articl and my mouth had started watering. It will be wrong to say that children love cupcakes as adults we love cupcakes even more.
Cupcakes comes in all sorts of shapes, colors and flavors. So, if we know the basic recipe then we have discovered a gold mine, because then anyone can easily twist and turn it here and there to produce their own special cupcake.
This recipe is so tasty that you will crave for it in the middle of the night, it's so easy that you can just rush into your kitchen in the morning and come out in an hour with a plate full of SCRUMPTIOUS CUPCAKES.
Can I tell you one more story just before the recipe? My little cousin was throwing tantrums early in the morning......asking for cupcakes, of course. My aunt who had packed everything as they were shifting in a few days asked my uncle to drive the little fellow to the town and buy him a few cup cakes. Guess what my Uncle returned with! He had bought some paper cupcake liners and asked my aunt to make some cup cakes instead..... a plan thrown by the father and son in the early hours of morning. If you want to hear the ending.....well, my aunt made the cupcakes and the whole family gobbled it up and lived happily everafter.
Most of the ingredients you will find in your kitchen. Here we go.
- 250 g all purpose flour, sieved 3 times
- 250 g sugar
- 250 g margarine or butter
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 2 tbsp. milk powder, (optional)
- 1 tsp. vanilla essence
- Beat the margarine well till it turns soft.
- Add the sugar to the margarine and beat well till the crystals have melted.
- Add the eggs one at a time and beat well. (Beat well for 15+ minutes the more you beat the softer the cake will be)
- Add the baking powder and milk powder to the flour and sieve well. (sieving will mix the 3 ingredients evenly)
- Add this to the batter and mix with a wooden spoon. (Never beat the batter once we add the flour, this will harden the cake)
- Add vanilla and give it a final turn.
Ingredients for butter Icing
- 200 g Butter unsalted or slightly salted
- 250 g Icing sugar (Castor Sugar)
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- Coloring drops of your choice
- Mix the butter with the icing sugar.
- Then beat it till soft but firm.
- Add the vanilla and coloring and mix (do not beat)
- The coloring should be added drop by drop, so that we can get the right shade.
(The icing can become firm or soft as a result of your climate so if it's too hard add a dab of butter or 1 tea spoon of hot water, if the icing is too soft add some caster sugar to make it firm. The right consistency should be so that we can pipe the icing onto the cupcake)
(Before we pipe it onto the cake it is always better to cover the cup cake with a thin layer of icing in a suitable color. This will give it a perfect finish)
Easy cupcake variations
- To make chocolate cupcakes add 3 tsp. of cocoa powder to the batter.
- Add 1/2 cup of chocolate chips to make chocolate chip cup cake.
- you can add 1/2 cup of pineapple pieces boiled in 2 tsp. of sugar to the batter to make pineapple cup cake.
- Add any fruit stewed in sugar to the batter the proportion to this recipe should always be 1/2 cup or less, more than this amount will give you gooey cupcakes.
- For nutty cupcake you can add 1/2 cup of cashew nuts preferably to the batter.
- Spread a handful of m&ms into the batter. And place one on top of the icing.
- Add 4 tsp. Grated lemon rind to the batter and add some lemon flavoring to the icing.
- Add 1/4 tsp. of powdred cinnamon, clove and cardomon to make spice cupcake.
- Add 1 tsp. of coffee powder to the milk before adding it to the batter to make coffe cake. Add some coffee powder and cocoa to the icing too.
- Add one cup of mashed banana to get banana cake. You have to add 2 tbsp. of flour too to get the right consistency.
- You can substitue the milk for peanut butter.
- Soak a handful of dates in tea, add this to the cake. Add 1 or 2 tbsp. more of flour and leave out the milk.
Easy icing variations
- The plain frosting is called butter icing. You can add different essences for the icing to have a fruity or nutty taste.
- The nut cupcake icing can have drops of almond flavor and essence.
- The pineapple or any fruit cupcake can have drops of that particular fruits essence and flavor added to it.
- Add 2 tsp. of cocoa powder to the icing to get chocolate icing.
- Microwave some 1 tsp. of butter milk and some cooking chocolate and pour over the cupcake to get a dreamy chocolate topping.
Did you know…………
- Cupcakes are also known as fairy cakes or patty cakes.
- The term cupcake was first mentioned in 1796.
- Cupcakes bake faster than normal cakes. A version of cupcake called mugcake takes only 5 minutes to make and bake.
- Tiramisu and cappuccino cupcakes are variants of gourmet cupcakes that are cropping up presently.
- Earlier cupcakes were baked in aluminum cups.
- A standard sixed cup holds 4 oz.
- Chocolate filled cupcakes are made by injecting chocolate after the cupcake is made.
- Any recipe for layer cake can be used to make cupcake. The difference is layer cake is big and the cupcakes are small.
- The first cupcake recipe was titled ‘a cake to be baked in small cups’.
I have posted below few videos of easy cupcake recipes that you are sure to love. ENJOY!
Dark Chocolate-Raspberry Upside Down Cupcakes with Chocolate Truffle Icing
Fireworks cookie cupcake
Mini Oreo Surprise Cupcake
Cherry Banana Cupcakes
Citrus Chocolate Cupcake
PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW.