Want a quick, homecooked meal but without the cost? As a struggling college student who pays rent, I understand the woes that come with an empty stomach and wallet. But with some inexpensive ingredients, you, too, can enjoy delicious meals while still maintaining a budget. This particular recipe was given to me by a friend of mine. The ingredients are cheap and easily accessible and the recipe itself is simple.
What You Will Need:
- 1 pound of pasta (It can be of any kind, i.e. bowtie, rotini, fusili)
- 1 quart of heavy whipping cream
- 1 stick of unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese (depending on the taste)
- A pack of spicy italian sausage (some like it extra meaty...)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon of oil (any kind)
All these ingredients can be found at a local supermarket.
- Submerge your pasta in water and boil (Make sure it's al dente-- completely cooked but not too soft or overdone)
- In a medium pot, melt the stick of butter on medium heat.
- After the butter has melted, add the 1 quart of heavy whipping cream.
- Let the sauce simmer on medium to low heat until it begins to thicken. This process usually takes the longest. On some occasions, the sauce refuses to become thick; if this is the case, try adding parmesan cheese.)
- While the sauce simmers, cut and fry the sausage in the oil. Add however much sausage you would like.
- Once the salt has thickened, add cheese, salt, and pepper to taste.
- On a separate dish, place the pasta and sausage together.
- Add sauce to the plate and proceed to toss pasta.
- You're done!
The amount of pasta can serve three to four people. This recipe can be very useful if you are hungry and have some ingredients lying around in the pantry. Hopefully this tutorial was helpful in providing you with some much needed comfort food without abusing your budget.