Key Lime and Mango Desserts
Key Lime and Mango Desserts
One of my most favorite memories growing up in Trinidad and Tobago, is waiting for the mango season to roll around so that I could enjoy these delectable fruit. I am always looking for ways to combine mangoes with some of my favorite recipes.
Now that I live in Florida, I have sampled one of this state's favorites, the Key Lime Pie. I thought that it would be a great match to combine these fruits and create a unique flavor that is sure to please. Following is my recipe for Key Lime Pie and Mango Key Lime Pie. I have made it user-friendly with easy to follow steps for those who are new to the cooking and baking scene, as well as those who are more experienced.
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed Key Lime juice
- 4 large egg yolks separated from the whites
- 1 - 14 oz. can Borden Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk
- 1 ripe mango, thinly sliced
- 1 - 9" Keebler graham cracker crust
- Additional ripe mango slices and whipped cream for garnishing (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Place a medium size strainer on the top of a liquid measuring cup
- Cut Key Limes in half
- Place Key Limes cut side down in the bottom of a lemon or lime squeezer
- Press down firmly on Key Limes to extract all the juice
- Repeat this process until the measure reads half cup of Key Lime juice
- Separate 4 large egg yolks from the egg whites (reserve egg whites for another use)
- Place egg yolks in a medium size bowl
- Using a wire whisk, whisk egg yolks for a minute or so until they are a creamy consistency
- Add Key Lime juice and whisk for another minute until completely blended
- Add can of sweetened condensed milk to egg yolk and Key Lime juice mixture
- Stir another minute or so until condensed milk is completely incorporated
- Layer ripe mango slices at the bottom of the graham cracker crust
- Gently pour Key Lime pie mixture into the graham cracker crust
- Place Key Lime pie in the center of the middle oven rack
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes
- Remove pie from oven and place on a wire rack to cool
- When pie is completely cool, refrigerate overnight
- Keep refrigerated until ready to serve
- Garnish with more ripe mango slices and/or whipped cream if desired
- Serve and enjoy!
- In order to maximize the amount of juice you get out of your Key Limes, I recommend using a Lemon Squeezersince this useful tool will extract all the juice from your limes as compared to trying to hand squeeze all the limes. Simply cut the limes in half, place face down in the bottom part of the squeezer and press down firmly.
- When Key Limes are not in season, or you have difficulty locating them at your grocery store, I recommend using Key Lime Juicelike Nellie & Joe's Famous Key West Lime Juice or something similar.
- Use a small rubber spatula to scrape the condensed milk out of the can.
- Use a medium size rubber spatula to scrape down sides of bowl when pouring pie mixture into the crust.
- This pie also freezes very well and you can serve it after thawing, or as a frozen treat.
- Turn your Mango Key Lime pie into a traditional Key Limepie by eliminating the mango slices. All the other ingredients, quantities, and the method remain the same.