A tribute for all those who can't survive without a cup of coffee.
Let me call this cake, energy cake; energy from the coffee in it. The first time I had this cake, at my cousin’s house, I was very small. My cousin had made it. I loved this cake so much I asked her for the recipe and wrote it down on a piece of paper. After many years I spotted this paper inside a book and had a good laugh at my handwriting. I was so small that I couldn’t spell some ingredients properly but doesn’t it show how much I was affected after tasting this cake?
Well, even if you are a master mind you will be shocked to know that coffee cake need not contain coffee. I am master mind and I didn't know that.
This coffee coffee cake (mm..am I not right about the name?) is recommended by the best chef in the world, as it has only a few more ingredients than a normal cake and tastes delicious. (those of you who are still scratching their head about the best chef...well, its me!)
Enjoy this coffee cake. It’s awesome slightly warm and awesome after refrigerating. If it's warm I hold it in my hand and enjoy it bite by bite. But if it’s cold then I heap some ice cream on it, keep it nicely on a dessert plate and eat it with a dessert spoon, like a queen! This tastes even better with some icing on it. (recipe below)
RECIPE FOR COFFEE CAKE
- 250 g flour
- 250 g sugar
- 250 g butter, (not margarine)
- 5 eggs
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. cream of tartar
- 2 tsp. coffee granules, (Nescafé)
- 1 tbsp condensed milk
- 4 tbsp. water
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla essence
- Beat butter till light and fluffy
- Add the sugar and beat till the granules have dissolved.
- Add the eggs one by one and beat well.
- Put the coffee granules, condensed milk and water in a small pan and heat till it boils. Let it cool.
- After it cools add this too to the batter and beat for one more minute.
- Add the baking powder to the flour and seive the flour 3 times to aerate it.
- Add the flour little by little to the batter and mix well using a wooden spoon.Add the vanilla and mix. Don't beat after the flour is added.
- COFFEE CAKE IS READY!
- 250 g icing sugar
- 100 g butter, room temperature (not margarine)
- 2 tsp. coffee granules + 1 tbsp. hot water
- 1 tsp. vanilla essence
- Add the coffee granules in hot water and stir till its smooth. Let it cool.
- Beat the butter till fluffy. Add the cooled coffee and the icing sugar little by little and beat. You might need more or less of icing sugar depending on your climate.
- Add the vanilla essence.
- Beat till you get a creamy consistency.
- Make sure the cake is cooled on a wire rack before applying icing.
- Now cut the cake horizontally and sandwich with icing generously.
- If you are not serving with ice cream then apply icing on the outside too.
You can also make cupcakes using this recipe.