This classic recipe is simple and easy to make and undeniably amazing.
With the holidays upon us, sugar cookies are the perfect enticing treat. Whether they are left out for Santa or for the whole family, these are the perfect cookies to put a smile on anyone’s face.
Whether you decide to stick with the classic round cookie shape or use a cookie-cutter to make shapes such as trees, mittens, candy-canes, snowmen, or even snowflakes, this is sure to be a crowd pleaser.
Classic Sugar Cookies
2 ¼ cups all-purpose white flour
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large egg yolks
1 ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
½ teaspoon baking powder
2 sticks cold unsalted butter (cut into ½ inch pieces)
¼ teaspoon salt
- Line 2 flat baking sheets with parchment paper and lightly dust with flour.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk together.
- In a separate bowl, combine butter, sugar, and egg yolks. Beat with an electric mixer.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter and sugar, adding a little bit at a time, using the electric mixer to blend everything together.
- Once the dough has formed into several large clumps, transfer the dough to a floured cutting board and use a rolling pin to flatten the dough.
- You may use a knife to cut shapes out or use a cookie cutter. Using a spatula, arrange the cookies on the parchment paper baking sheet, so cookies are at least ½” apart. Reroll the scraps with the rolling pin, and start the process over again until all dough as been used.
- Place the cookies in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Bake the cookies for about 13 minutes (depending on the size of the cookies) until lightly browned around edges. Half way through (around 6 ½ minutes after they’ve been in the oven) rotate the baking sheets from front to back and from top to bottom.
10. Once the timer has finished and the cookies are a light golden brown around the edges, remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
11. If you would like to add sprinkles, this would be the time to do it.
12. Using a spatula, transfer cookies to a wire cooling rack and let sit for 20 minutes.
13. Once completely cooled, if you would like to add frosting, you may do so at this time.
14. And at last, Enjoy!