Chicken curry is a famous South Asian cuisine. This is the most simple and basic chicken curry. It is easy to cook and very tasty to eat. For other chicken recipes, read http://www.infobarrel.com/chicken_biryani
Serves 3 to 4 people.
Preparation time 30 minutes to 45 minutes.
- Chicken 1 lbs cut in small pieces and skin less (washed, cleaned and drained)
- Ginger 1 tsp
- Garlic 4 cloves
- Oil 2 to 3 tsp (olive oil or canola oil, I used canola oil for this recipe)
- Onions 2 cups chopped
- Tomato 1 cup chopped
- Pepper as per taste (optional)
- Cumin seeds 1 tsp
- Bay leaf 1
- Cumin powder 1 tsp (optional)
- Black pepper (optional) as per taste.
- Coriander powder 1 tsp (optional)
- Red pepper powder 1 tsp (as per taste) (optional)
- Turmeric powder 1/ 2 tsp
- Curry powder 2 tsp
- Coriander for garnishing
- Sugar 1/ 4 tsp (optional)
- Water 2 cups
- Heat oil in pan.
- Add cumin seeds and bay leaf.
- When the cumin seeds start spluttering after a minute, add finely chopped onions and fry till they are golden in color.
- Switch off the flame and grind the fried onions in the food processor. This step however is optional.
- Grind ginger, garlic, pepper and finely diced tomato in the food processor. Do not grind the onions with this mixture.
- Heat oil in pan again if you have chopped the onions in the grinder.
- Add onions to the mixture and mix well.
- Add all the spices (coriander powder, cumin powder, curry powder and red pepper powder) and mix well. Do not add water. Keep stirring so that the spices do not burn.
- Add sugar and mix well. This step however is optional.
- Fry the mixture till the oil starts separating.
- Add the chicken and coat well in the mixture.
- Add salt and mix well again.
- Keep stirring the chicken for 5 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of water. Stir for 2 minutes.
- Cover the pan, lower the flame and cook till the chicken is tender.
- Check salt consistency. Add more water if you want more curry.
- Garnish with coriander.
- Serve hot with bread, naan, boiled rice or http://www.infobarrel.com/lamb_biryan
- You can use yogurt 1/ 2 cup if you do not want to use tomatoes. Beat the yogurt properly before mixing it with the chicken.
- You can marinate the chicken overnight (preferably) with yogurt, all the spices and salt.
- You can fry the chicken with all the spices and salt. Add the fried onions. Mix well. Add yogurt and mix properly. Cook till the chicken is tender and then add water. Stir and cover the pan.
- You can use coconut milk instead of water. Beat the coconut milk properly before pouring it in the chicken.
- Do not use yogurt and coconut milk together in this recipe.
- You can use vinegar 1 tsp instead of yogurt or tomatoes.
- You can use microwave after step 11.
- You can use 2 tsp of the ready-made ginger garlic paste instead of using garlic cloves.
- You can use tomato sauce instead of tomato.