Diet and Exercise, the Perfect Combination to Shed Pounds
Everyone knows that a healthy diet with a low-fat, low-salt intake and exercising on a regular basis will help you lose weight; but have you ever wondered which one is more effective for permanent weight loss? I have seen many people spending 10 hours a week exercising at the gym and then having a full-fat meal as a reward; on the other hand, I have seen a lot of people, especially women on a very-low calorie diet but are so tired for the lack of nutrients that are not able to exercise properly.
Healthy Eating and Weight Loss
When I mentioned the word “Diet”, does not necessarily mean that you should eat half of what you used to eat before; I am not saying either that you should never have a cake again; this is not sustainable and at the end of your “diet period” you will go back to your bad eating habits. The only way you will lose and maintain and ideal weight is by changing your mentality about eating, you need to learn how to eat healthily and make it a habit; it is not difficult as it sounds and you will still enjoy a full plate of food and snacks; the main idea of a “healthy way of life” is by avoiding the sensation of hunger, as you will end up eating the wrong kind of food. The important thing is to introduce all the changes on a gradually basis:
- Have breakfast, you should never skip it (porridge is the perfect meal to start the day)
- Eat five small meals during the day (three main meals and twice a day treat yourself with a few healthy snacks (fruit, vegetable, soup or cottage cheese)
- Stop drinking fizzy drinks.
- Replace biscuits for a banana.
- Swap white bread and rice for multi-grain replacements.
- Replace whole milk for semi-skimmed milk.
- Cut down on fatty foods, red-meats, butter and mayonnaise.
- Do not have a second serving at dinner; your stomach will take a few minutes to realise that it is full; have water or a banana instead.
- Reduce your alcohol consumption and have a glass of red wine with dinner instead.
Physical activity is the perfect companion of a diet if you want to lose weight. You will not only lose weight by burning more calories but the adrenaline formed by any form of exercise will motivate you to eat the right kind of food.
- Join your local gym and use it.
- Light to moderate exercise 3 or 4 times a week is ideal.
- At least one intense work-out a week should be your target.
- Introduce light weights to your weight-loss routine (your body will burn calories for the next 24 hours)
- Use the stairs instead of the lift (small changes = big difference)
- Leave the car 5 to 10 minutes away from your office.
- Get off the bus 2 stops before the usual one and walk the rest of the way.
- Take on swimming, cycling, yoga, walking or any other kind of physical activity.
- Go for a walk, jog or bike ride on the weekend.
Nowadays there is a lot of evidence that shows it is perfectly possible to lose weight and keep it without falling into extreme dieting or exercising routines. A balanced and healthy diet, combined with a regular exercise program is the perfect combination. It is also important for you to learn more about how to lose weight on a permanent basis and change the fat to muscle composition of your body through a balanced diet and exercise. Also, you need to forget about crash diets (they only work temporarily)
Other articles that will help you lose weight and maintain it:
- How to Lose Weight for Vegetarians
- Bikram Yoga, Benefits and Precautions
- Sauna, benefits and precautions
- Steam room, benefits and precautions
- Benefits and precautions with Green Tea
Health-related articles that will help you to live a long and healthy live:
- How To Look Younger and Stay Healthy
- Retinoids and ageing
- Adult Acne, how to get rid of pimples
- Enhance your quality of life by improving your memory
- High cholesterol, diet and exercise to reduce bad cholesterol