Each one of our bodies needs certain things to ensure its survival. Water is one of the most important ingredients in taking care of the body. Each day the healthy body needs eight 8oz glasses of water at a minimum. This will keep the body properly hydrated and ready for the challenges of fitness.
There are three main areas of food (micronutrients) that I will be discussing in this chapter. In order to have the fit body you desire all of these foods must be a part of your daily eating plan. These important areas are as follows: Protein, Carbohydrates, and Fats. As you begin to plan your meals for your new body you should incorporate some form of these items throughout your meals daily.
There are a few things I should point out at this time:
1-This is your plan, in order for it to work you need to make meals that are easy to prepare with food items you like. Don’t forget to use canned vegetables and Rotisserie Chickens (this works well for non-chefs).
2-Take your meals on the GO-purchase a lunch box and take your meals with you to work or school daily.
3-Utilize cheat days (1 to 2 per week) depending on your body type to keep your sanity and allow for those cravings that we all have. I recommend that you cheat on the day that is most convenient for you to include in upcoming special occasions. Make sure you plan ahead for these times.
4-Eat every 2 to 3 hours to keep your metabolism revved up. Remember a fit body is a well nourished body.
5-Don’t take this too serious. If you cheat on an unscheduled day; pick yourself up, dust yourself off and move on.
6-This eating plans success depends on your body type and you paying attention to your body: Example: Start eating plan-gain 2 lbs in a week
Solution: Remove a complex carbohydrate from one meal per day; preferably your last meal of the day. Start eating plan-lose 4 or more lbs in 2 weeks add an additional serving of complex carbohydrates to one of your meals.
Now let’s discuss your grocery lists. This list can be used in many variations. Use your imagination and enjoy. The body of your dreams is just a grocery store away.
Proteins-A wonderful food source that supplies the body with essential amino acids .
- Chicken breast (the real bird, not fast food meat!)
- Turkey breast (the real bird, not sliced lunch meat!)
- Game meats (venison, elk, etc)
- Bison/buffalo (is often leaner than regular beef)
- Very lean red meat such as top round and lean sirloin (grass fed is especially nutritious)
- Almost all types of fish (warning: a few, like swordfish, tilefish and some types of tuna are known to be contaminated with mercury)
- Salmon (one of the healthiest foods you can eat due to the high omega-3 fatty acid content - choose wild salmon over farmed)
- Shellfish and other seafood
- Eggs (you can even eat whole eggs in moderation, within your calorie limit - the yolk contains a highly bioavailable source of lutein and xeaxanthin, carotenoids which help protect against cataracts and macular degeneration)
- Dairy products, if you are not lactose intolerant (choose low or nonfat dairy )
- Turkey Bacon/Turkey Sausage
- Protein Powder-Whey Protein
Carbohydrates (Complex Carbs) - Complex carbohydrates are the primary source of energy for the human body system. Complex carbs helps in providing the body with a steady source of energy.
- All-Bran cereals
- Baked beans
- Brown bread
- Brown rice
- Brussels Sprouts
- Buckwheat bread
- Chick peas
- Collard Greens
- Dill Pickles
- Dried apricots
- Garbanzo beans
- Granary Bread
- High fiber breakfast cereals
- Kidney beans
- Low fat yogurt
- Multi-grain bread
- Navy beans
- Oat bran bread
- Oat bran cereal
- Other root vegetables
- Pinto beans
- Pita bread
- Pumpernickel bread
- Shredded wheat
- Skim milk
- Soy milk
- Split peas
- Sweet potato
- Turnip Greens
- Water Cress
- Whole Barley
- Whole grain flours
- Whole meal bread
- Wholegrain Cereals
- Wild rice
Fats (Healthy)-Essential to fuel and storing energy in the body.
- · Fatty fish (Wild Alaskan salmon, sardines, mackerel, trout
- · Fish oil supplements (if you don't eat fatty fish)
- · Flaxseeds (ground)
- · Flaxseed oil (as a supplement, not for cooking)
- · Extra virgin olive oil
- · Extra virgin coconut oil (for cooking; NOT hydrogenated varieties)
- · Walnuts
- · Almonds
- · Other nuts (Cashews and Mixed Nuts)-Eat in Moderation
- · Seeds
- · Avocados
- · Olives
- · Natural peanut butter or nut butters (NOT the sugar-sweetened kind
Diet Drinks (Limit to 1 per day)
Below are two sample meal plans. Please feel free to use these or any combinations of meals that you would like.
MEAL PLAN ONE
Pre-Workout-Whey Protein Shake
Breakfast-4 eggs whites and turkey bacon/sausage
Midday Snack-Peanut Butter Sandwich on Wheat/Apple
Lunch-Grilled Steak/brown rice/broccoli
Midday Snack-10 almonds/1cup Low Fat Yogurt
Late Night Snack-Casein Protein with Cool Whip
MEAL PLAN TWO
Pre-Workout-Whey Protein Shake with Frozen Strawberries and Blueberries and Oatmeal.
Breakfast-Egg Beaters Omelet with any items from the list you would like to add plus bacon
Midday Snack-Special K Drink/6 strawberries
Lunch-Turkey Drum Stick/Collard Greens/Sweet Potato Yams
Midday Snack-Oatmeal /1/3 cup of mixed nuts