If you're on a diet - whether it be due to health reasons or if you just want to lose some weight and look good - then eating out can be a bit of a nightmare at times. It can be tempting to avoid it altogether, but there's really no reason why you should do this. You are perfectly entitled to enjoy a pleasant evening in the company of friends and there's absolutely no reason why it should be a problem for either your health or your waistline.
Here's a few tips that might help you to have fun and stay slim and healthy:
- Credit: www.amazon.comIf you're able to choose the restaurant, try to pick one that offers menu items which are low in fat and cholesterol.
- Check the menu carefully and look for dishes which are broiled, baked, roasted, steamed, poached or stir fried. These are healthier options for you.
- Avoid dishes which contain ingredients described as breaded, battered, creamed, crispy, deep fried or au gratin. These are usually high in fat.
- If you're having a salad then ask for either an oil free or low fat salad dressing. You could also try a wine based or balsamic vinegar as a dressing.
- Substitute baked potatoes, steamed or boiled vegetables or salad for items such as fires or onion rings.
- If you're having a pizza ask for a little less cheese and some extra vegetables. Avoid toppings such as pepperoni, sausage or extra cheese - these are all high fat.
- Choose fruit, sorbet or low fat yoghurt for dessert.
- If you do decide to be wicked and have an indulgent dessert, think about splitting it with a friend. It can be good fun.
- Try to limit your alcohol intake. Alcohol lowers your blood sugar level and increases your appetite. It also lowers your willpower. Worst of all, it is a source of both fat and calories - with no nutritional value.
- When you're choosing from the salad bar, stock up on greens and vegetables. These are generally good for you and, in their natural state, contain no cholesterol and little to no fat. Avoid salads which are mayonnaisse based or have salad cream in them.
- Eat slowly and engage your fellow diners in conversation. Put your knife and fork down every now and savour the taste of your food. This will help you to know when you're getting full and reduce the tendency to overeat.
- Don't feel obliged to clear your plate.
- If you do overindulge at a restaurant or party, don't feel guilt and punish yourself. Just eat simple, low fat foods the following day.
Low Cholesterol Diet
Amazon Price: $9.99 Buy Now
(price as of Jun 28, 2016)