In legal terms, an injury is considered catastrophic if it has long term effects and damages to the victim. According to the National Center for Health Statistics, catastrophic injuries are the leading cause of death among Americans today. Some of the most common types of catastrophic injuries include:
- Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
- Amputation or dismemberment of body part
- Severe burns
- Spinal cord injury
- Broken bones
If you suffered a catastrophic injury in an accident and you want to seek compensation, you need to identify the responsible party. There are several considerations in a catastrophic injury litigation case. If you want to have a higher chance of winning your case, you should take note of these things:
- The damages you incurred because of the accident â These include monetary and property damages to the victim.
- The loss of the capacity to work or engage in social activities â When a person acquires a catastrophic injury, he may not be able to work for a considerable duration of time. Engaging in social activities might also become difficult for him. These losses should all be compensated by the responsible party.
- Pain and suffering â The best way to document pain and suffering is to take pictures of the victim's injuries. The victim may also write his own journal stating the different experiences he had while nursing the injury.
- Getting a personal injury attorney â If the complainant lives in Los Angeles, he should get a lawyer who also resides in the area. This would enable him to meet with the attorney much easier.
After considering these factors in your case, that is when you can file the formal complaint. Personal injury complaints usually take several months before a decision is released. During this time, you have to gather all relevant information concerning the accident and your catastrophic injury. Your Los Angeles injury attorney would be of great help in taking these steps for your case.
Having a catastrophic injury is a life-changing experience. Most of the time, people who get into such situations get depressed, lose their self-esteem, and become dissatisfied with their lives. In order for them to overcome this tragic situation, they should have a new beginning â and winning a case against the responsible party is a great way to start anew. If you want to have this kind of beginning, make sure you hire an LA personal injury lawyer for your catastrophic injury dispute case.