Elliptical Machines, Fun workout, Cardiovascular benefits, Muscle toning
I would like to share my personal experience with the purchase of an Elliptical Trainer. My main motivation for looking into this type of equipment was to improve my cardiovascular condition. I could never convince myself to take up jogging. It was very easy to find a ton of good excuses not to run: too cold in the winter, icy sidewalks, too hot in the summer, afraid to damage my ankles and knees and ruin my tennis season, etc. So I reviewed every type of equipment available and tried out most of them during a month free trial period at a local gym. This is when my wife and I literally adopted the Elliptical Trainer as our favourite means to get into shape.
Why should you consider using an elliptical trainer? There is actually an impressive list of benefits linked to the use of this type of training equipment. Here is a shortlist of good reasons Elliptical Training could be what you have been looking for.
- Superior Cardio Work-out: Since Elliptical Training involves both upper and lower body work out; you are able to achieve cardiovascular benefit much faster than on a traditional treadmill.
- Zero impact on your ankles, knees, hip joints, etc. This is certainly a key advantage of the Elliptical over most other training methods.
- Ability to build your bone density since you are supporting your own weight but without the pounding effect. A benefit you would not get using an exercise bicycle.
- Muscle toning: upper body (arm, shoulder, abs) as well as lower body benefits.
- Training on the Elliptical will improve performance in your favorite sport; for example tennis players will have more stamina, improved upper body strength and superior cardiovascular conditioning.
- Losing weight; if you have to lose a few pounds, regular training on the elliptical will get the job done. Obviously combined with a healthy diet.
As in most endeavors getting started is often the hardest part. Once you have established a regular training schedule, you will eventually find it very hard to miss out on the fantastic “well-being” and relaxed state that your workout will bring to you. Yes, there will be days where you will be tired and not feel like going on it, but I assure you that once you start moving, the motivation will come on its own.
So now that you have made the decision to go ahead and shop for an Elliptical Training Equipment, you need to understand the basic characteristics to make the best choice. Obviously, when you go to the gym, you will generally be training on very high end equipment that very few people can afford to buy for their home. Since this was my personal experience, I knew that if I went ahead and bought a very low end elliptical, I would be sorely disappointed and it would eventually collect the dust with my exercise bicycle. So I performed a thorough research of elliptical trainers and eventually found what I believe is an ideal purchase for home users. The Sole E35 can be purchased under $1400 and meet all the basic requirements of a good Elliptical Trainer. Here are some key characteristics that you cannot easily find in competing models:
- 20” stride length: this is very important if you want to get a natural feel from your Elliptical trainer
- Weight limit of 375 pounds; this speaks for itself. Build to last with quality parts. Most Ellipticals in this price range do not even get close to this weight limit rating.
- Warranty: 5 years on parts and 2 years on labor. I have not seen this anywhere else! Compare this to a 90-day warranty from other manufacturers.
- Wireless Heart Rate monitor included: this is for me a big motivator, you always know if you are in the desired range. No need to hold on to the hand grip monitor as with other models. Wireless monitor costs around $100 if bought separately.
- Ability to input custom programs.
- As far as I am concerned the Sole E35 offers the Best Price / Quality ratio for home budget. You will find reviewers that compare the Sole Elliptical to models that are twice as expensive.
Finally, making your training a fun part of your day is not that difficult. Yes, staring at the wall while working out gets boring real fast, so you need to find some kind of entertainment that appeals to you. For some it might simply be listening to music, for others it could be watching a sporting event, in my case I really enjoy watching high tempo music videos. It is pretty easy to capture streaming videos from “You Tube” and build several playlists that you can watch while exercising. They are now available in HD, so they look fantastic on a big screen TV. So you have really no excuse to sit on your couch in front of your TV, get in shape with the Elliptical. You can even keep watching TV while you do it!