The fridge is an everyday kitchen appliance that consumes the largest amount of electricity in a typical household. This is why it is always important to find out how to make your fridge more energy efficient. Not only is this better for the environment but it will also cut the cost of your electricity bill.
Top Best Tips for Saving Electricity for Your Fridge
- Make sure you leave enough space around your fridge to let air circulate. This helps reduce the heat produced by your refrigerator, making it run more efficiently.
- If you want to store hot food, let it cool down first before storing it in the fridge. This is because the heat will raise the temperature of the fridge making it use more energy to try to cool the food down.
- Frost can cause the freezer to consume more energy, so make sure you defrost the freezer section regularly.
- Be mindful where you place the fridge. Always keep it away from appliances that generate heat (for example; a oven or dishwasher) and make sure you keep away from direct sunlight.
- Avoid keeping the doors open for too long to avoid cold air from escaping. Also keep the number of doors open at one time to a minimum..
- Another way to make sure cold air does not escape, is to regularly check the seal between the doors. Make sure it has good suction is airtight to prevent cool air leaking out.
- When defrosting food, let it defrost in the fridge. This will help keep the refrigerator cool, making is use less energy.
Purchasing an Energy Efficient Fridge
If you have an older refrigerator and you find it consumes a lot of electricity, then it might be time to consider buying an energy efficient fridge. Now days it is popular to choose more environmentally friendly appliances so you should not have any trouble buying one. There are always plenty of cheap energy efficient fridges on sale at major appliance stores you can even buy them online at a great price. Always check that they are energy-star rated. Choose a model that has at least four energy stars.