The world is where we lived in. Over the
years we've enjoyed the produce we get from Mother Earth; however, we tend to
forget to give something back to her. We have this uncanny notion that
everything on this earth is limitless. Unfortunately, that is not the case. As
well all know nothing in this world is permanent.
So, now is the best time to turn eco-friendly. Even if it is just printing there are still ways where the printing industry and you can repay Mother Earth for all the paper it has provided.
Here are some eco-friendly tips you can try.
- Use recycled paper. Recycled papers are not that bad. In fact recycled papers are good printed materials. You very well know that this method of publication use up a lot of paper. If you keep on using new papers there might come a time when there are no more trees to cut down and produce paper. Understand that most recycled papers contain 30% of post consumer waste which means 30% less waste.
- Print Smaller. If you are planning to print brochures or flyers, it is ideal that you reduce its size. Reducing the size can help conserve paper. In addition to that, you get to print more without having to use more paper. When you print in small sizes make sure that your brochures contains all the necessary information like links to your website, contact numbers, and a short rundown of your services or topics. You get to conserve more paper if you print in small sizes.
- Use Soy Based Inks or Vegetable Based Inks. Regular inks emit high levels of volatile organic compounds of VOCs. These VOCs are toxic to the environment and to the people as well. Most petroleum based inks contain high levels of VOCs which are known to be carcinogenic or cancer causing. Soy or vegetable based inks contain lower levels of VOCs making it much safer to use. It also makes the printed material easier to recycle.
- The use of metallic inks should be avoided as much as possible. These metallic inks contain high levels of harmful elements like heavy metals such as lead, barium, zinc, and even mercury. These metals can have detrimental effects both to the body and to the environment.
- When making brochures make sure that it is re-usable. To make a brochure re-usable, avoid placing dates, locations and other information that can turn a brochure into a single use brochure only. When designing try to design a brochure that can be used multiple times. In this way you get to save on the charges, save on paper, and reduce paper waste.
- Re-check your design. This will help eliminate mistakes and reduce the risk for reprinting. Before you submit the layout for printing, make sure that you have re-checked everything. Check the spelling, grammar, and sentence construction. Also check the design and the placing of each image. Understand that every time you reprint you waste paper, to counter this all you have to do is re-check.
- Recycle used printed materials. Instead of throwing away brochures and printed materials, compile them and keep them for recycling. These used printed materials can be used to make recycled paper. By doing this you get to reduce the amount of paper waste.
Printing is essential, whether you are a student or a professional you will always need to have something printed. That need is the reason why the printing industry continues to exist; however, to keep the resources from draining it is best that we do our part in recycling.