Diabetes:Symptoms,tests and care
Who can be afflicted?
If someone in your family has diabetes then automatically the chances of your acquiring diabetes increase.However,the symptoms of diabetes are not always the same.In many cases,lack of enthusiasm about work,a general disinterest in all matters or a constant feeling of tiredness may also be the symptoms of diabetes.Therefore if you find such symptoms occurring,do not mistake it as only tiredness.Get a medical check-up done immediately.Women who have babies in an enlarged form compared to the general trend among newborns or those who get Gestational diabetes have a greater risk of acquiring diabetes later in life.
Tests to be done
- Test your fasting blood sugar level.This test is done 8 to 9 hours after a meal.Within this span of time,do not have anything except for water.
- 2 hours after a meal,get your postprandial glucose test done.
- At least once a year test your glycosylated haemoglobin.Often tension or eating something within that 8-9 hour gap can cause your random sugar to show more than it actually is, in the blood test.But with this kind of test the chances of such errors are eliminated.
- Test your lipid profile.An increase in cholesterol may lead to an increase in your blood sugar level.
- If the disease is hereditary in your family or if you are overweight,get a Glucose Tolerance Test done to determine how severe are your chances of developing diabetes.The most common glucose tolerance test is the oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT).
- Monitor your blood glucose level regularly at home.You can buy a blood glucose tester from any medical shop or online.You will easily be able to do this test at home.
- Take a drop of blood from your finger tip and measure your glucose level.If you find that it is not at the normal level,immediately consult a physician.
Other Ways to Stay Fit in case of Diabetes
- Before buying packaged food,look for the nutritional value of that food.This will enable you to plan your meals better.
- Along with a balanced diet,regular exercise is a must as it can help reduce the risk of developing diabetes as also complications that accompany diabetes such as kidney failure,stroke,heart disease or blindness.
- Intake plenty of salads with your lunch or dinner.Bread and pasta made of white flour,rice and potatoes are best avoided in lunch or dinner.This is because the amount of fiber contained in these types of foods is very low.Instead,you can eat vegetables,beans,Daliya (maize porridge) or foods rich in dietary fiber
- Consume less of jam,cakes,noodles and macaroni at the time of breakfast.However,if you still crave for noodles,eat noodles made of flour.You may use vegetable stuffings in your bread.Eat whole fruits daily.
- Eat green and yellow vegetables like broccoli,bell pepper,spinach and carrots.Instead of eating fried snacks,prepare them baked in your oven or eat them grilled.
- When eating frozen vegetables do not add extra salt,sauce or butter;instead eat them fresh.
- Among the class of protein-rich foods,choose any of the following for lunch or dinner: Pulses,soybean,fish,egg whites or chicken-breast.Low-fat dairy products are also beneficial for your health.
- It is better not to eat ice creams,cheese,jaggery,egg yolk,cream biscuits,honey,pickles and soft drinks.Eat home-cooked food and avoid processed foods.