Usually sweet potato is popular during the holiday season, but many are asking how to cook a sweet potato in the microwave so that they can enjoy this delicious vegetable all year-long. This vegetable made its début to the world when Christopher Columbus brought them back from his journey to the Saint Thomas Island. Just like a regular potato, you can cook a sweet potato in many ways. Bake it, or fry it, or put it on the grill, but the easiest method by far would be to use the microwave oven. But how do you cook a sweet potato in the microwave?
Let’s begin by listing the items you will need on how to cook a sweet potato in the microwave:
- A microwave oven (obviously)
- Water for cleaning
- A piece of paper towel
- A microwave safe dish (Pyrex works the best)
- A fork and a knife
- Butter or margarine which ever you prefer
- Salt and pepper optional
- Cinnamon or nutmeg optional
- Sweet potato
The method for how to cook a sweet potato in the microwave is as follows:
- Begin by washing the skin of the sweet potato with water. Once completed dry it with a paper towel.
- With the aid of your fork, pierce the skin of the sweet potato. Continue to make several holes around the sweet potato. The reason for doing this is that it allows the steam to leave the potato while it cooks and does not explode in the microwave.
- Then place the sweet potato in a microwave safe dish preferably a glass dish.
- Depending on the size of the potato set the microwave on high for about 6-8 minutes.
- Once the cooking time is over, pass a knife through the center of the potato. To decide if the sweet potato is ready to eat ,the knife should pass through it easily. If it is still hard, cook the potato for an extra 1-2 minutes to soften the flesh.
- Let the cooked sweet potato sit for about 3 minutes. This will allow some steam to escape and make the potato easier to handle at a slightly cooler temperature.
- Slit the potato down the center and add a teaspoon of butter or margarine. If you like season it with salt and pepper to taste. For added flavor sprinkle some cinnamon or nutmeg.
The steps on how to cook a sweet potato in the microwave are easy. If you need to cook more than one potato at a time, the rule of thumb is to add four minutes for each added potato.
Now you know how to cook a sweet potato in a microwave. It is quick, easy, delicious and nutritious. Remember the orange flesh has adequate amounts of essential vitamins and fiber. Since you now know how to cook a sweet potato in a microwave, make it for lunch at work or as a quick dinner. Most offices building have microwave ovens and most residences have one too, so take one to work or make it for dinner and in less than ten minutes you can have a healthy and nutritious lunch